What type of flange?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
fpg

What type of flange?

Post by fpg »

I need a half nipple flange that will fit on my 2.5" veeco diffusion pump (see pictures below). I will weld the half nipple directly to my SS hemisphere chamber. Does anyone know what sort of flange this is?
Attachments
DSC03497.JPG
DSC03496.JPG
Chris Bradley

Re: What type of flange?

Post by Chris Bradley »

ASA100?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Not to be too picky, but .......Veeco Vacuum pump..........Vacuum system flange.........

Needed to be in the Vacuum forum.

You'll pick it up as you nestle into the way the forums are setup.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tidbit77

Post by Tidbit77 »

This flange seems to be impossible to find, and I have designed one to mate with this one, in an ISO-esque fashion, if you would like I can email you the CAD file/
WJ
Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

It looks very similar to an ASA style flange, although there is a chance it could be no standard flange at all. That diffusion pump comes out of an old Veeco leak detector (an MS-9 if I remember correctly) and I know some of those old leak detectors have their own odd choices in flanges and fittings.

Good news though, making a mating flange for it would be very easy, as the original flange that attaches to the pump did not have any grooves for the o-ring, it just was a suitably sized piece of metal with a tube welded to it. This is the case for ASA flanges too, one side is grooved to hold the o-ring and the other side is merely flat. If you were to make your own flange it would not even have to be round, as long as it covers the o-ring and has 4 holes for the bolts, you are good to go. If you are capable of welding as you said in your post you could just drill out a piece of metal, weld an appropriate metal tube to it, drill the 4 bolt holes and you have what you need.

Good luck,
-Chris
fpg

Post by fpg »

Sorry Richard guess I was too quick when I posted it. I don´t know how to change the forum but I can delete the post when it is finished.

Chris, I have the most basic tools at home and I have only tried welding once or twice but I know a steel workshop that have helped me before with a baseplate for my little demo fusor, they can probably help me to build that flange.

Will Jack it would be greatly appreciated if you could email me that CAD file of yours .
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Fredrik -

If memory serves me correctly, this subject has been dealt with, probably over in the Vacuum Forum. Can't recall who identified the flange, but I think it was found to be a Veeco custom design, which is nearly the same as an ASA or ISO of similar size.

As was noted above, since one side is grooved and the other is flat, you only need a flange with mating hole pattern and diameter.

Some US based mfrs such as Nor-Cal, Duniway Stockroom, Kurt Lesker will make a part to your specification... often at a price below what you could arrange locally.

Use Search on the VAcuum Systems forum to tease out the post on it.

Dave Cooper
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I don't understand the fuss. Just buy an adapter!?

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/flanges/ad ... pgid=kfasa

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”