Question "Star Mode"

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Isaac Newton Observatory

Question "Star Mode"

Post by Isaac Newton Observatory »

Hi,
After long research I managed to find a needle Control valve. it was installed on the fuser. I did try to do the electrolysis of 'ordinary water to produce hydrogen (deuterium will). As you will see in the video the plasma has the typical coloration. I wanted to make some questions:
1 - When do I start a great emptiness become poissor until it disappears. I think then you have achieved a good vacuum. Then send in the gas needle valve and poissor appears. I manage to keep a stable size little bigger than a pea. How to get "star mode"?
2 - I do a grid outer cylinder chamber "star mode"?
3-I fuse deuterium only in the "star mode"?
4 - be a tension and pressure threshold for "star mode"?
Thank you for your answers
Regards Fernando
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FhcZ16cpY
Richard Hull

Re: Question "Star Mode"

Post by Richard Hull »

Star mode occurs only when the geometry is decent. (concentric Spheres).

Star mode is obtained only in a clean vacuum system at around 10 microns.

Star mode does not indicate fusion is taking place. Fusion can take place without star mode being seen, though this star mode is often seen when fusion is occuring.

You appear to not have good symmetry and your system is not a clean as it might be.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Isaac Newton Observatory

Post by Isaac Newton Observatory »

Thank you very much for your quick response! Your advice will be very valuable! In fact, I have created a grid that I entered the room. After pumped down for a long time (unfortunately I do not stingy the vacuum gauge) I have given power.
You can see in two videos:
I do not know if I have reached a good degree of vacuum of the best video you have seen before!
And because the plasma is unstable in my other videos? Be because having low voltage? I have also noticed a bit of fluorescent light on glass viewport! Can be x-ray? I feed my fuser power supply built by myself. It consist of a color TV flyback for no load to get to 20,000 volts with a supply of 1mA. I have tried to measure voltage in the melter and this falls to 5000 volts. Because this fluorescence? I have a geiger but be insensitive to low doses! How to tell if fired power x-ray?
Regards Fernando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xXpMA49JA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_C8ovu6Ars
fpg

Post by fpg »

Hello Fernando,

Glad to hear that someone else uses a TV flyback as a powersupply!

in your videos it seems like you have <100mTorr to about 15mtorr. I can´t really tell if its worth trying fusion in this state as I´ve never done it myself. But if you have deuteriumgas to spare I would do some simple tests.

At 5000 volts I doubt that it will make a noticeble amount of x-rays, if any.
You need atleast 15 000 V to produce a measureable amount of x-rays.
Even I get a little fluorescence but my fusor only have 600V.
Correct me if I´m wrong, I´m still a noob

btw.Great job with the fusor!( I wish I could have such a nice looking chamber. I only have a leaky salad bowl..)

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”