Fusor CAD models

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
benbartlett

Fusor CAD models

Post by benbartlett »

Recently I've noticed a few people making CAD models of their fusors before/after building them, probably for presentation purposes.

However, having used AutoCAD, SolidEdge, and Inventor, I know this can be a very tedious process.

In case it interest you though, Inventor is BY FAR the best program to use. I'm entering ISEF this year (as a competitor - last year I was an observer, too young to actually participate), and I of course would need a lot of technical data/analyses for the apparatus. Inventor lets you perform stress analyses on the actual chamber, so stress points can be highlighted.

Okay, I know this is starting to sound like an advertisement now, but the point being, if you are going to try to make a CAD model of your fusor, use Inventor. It's a bit more complicated than AutoCAD, but the options you have when you are finished are so much greater.

Attached is an exploded diagram of my reactor. (This is one of Inventor's downsides, though - a very tedious explosion method: their "automatic" explosion consists of you either manually tweaking each part, or settling for a poor idw sheet.)

Hope this random comment/advice helps.

Ben Bartlett
Attachments
TERA Assembly Exploded 2.jpg
bk8509a

Re: Fusor CAD models

Post by bk8509a »

Really nice Ben. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to make something such as that or the time to learn how to.
bpaddock

Post by bpaddock »

> Okay, I know this is starting to sound like an advertisement now, but the point being, if you are going to try to make a CAD model of your fusor, use Inventor. It's a bit more complicated than AutoCAD, but the options you have when you are finished are so much greater.

If you do want to use Open Source, there is BRL-CAD by the Army:

http://brlcad.org/gallery/s/renderings/

and ROOT by CERN:

http://root.cern.ch/drupal/category/ima ... /detectors
mad_physicist

Post by mad_physicist »

By the way:

I am working a lot with AutoCAD, designing vacuum systems and components, so I have quite a library of high-detail vacuum-components, such as CF-flanges of any size, valves, feedthroughs, VCR-fittings, ... everything 3D!

If anyone is interesed, I am willing to share this library I have created - it would be available as AutoCAD (2002) DWG, DXF or any format I can export it to.

...want some?

Regards
Sascha
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Although not free, Alibre has a Solid Works-like (relatively) low cost program, and a free try-it version.

Holidays they were advertising at $197 USD for a full function system.

Thanks for the open SW links, Bob.

Dave Cooper

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”