Best type of HV transformer?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
benbartlett

Best type of HV transformer?

Post by benbartlett »

While ordering some of the last parts to my fusor (I already have almost all of the other systems completed. yeehaw!), I was wondering what you all thought would be the best type of transformer to get. I was going to start smallish and get a 15kV 60ma neon sign transformer off of ebay, and I was wondering whether you think that would be a good deal. It costs $150 (plus $80 shipping), and it is new from the box.

Ben Bartlett
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Re: Best type of HV transformer?

Post by Tyler Christensen »

If you're going for fusion, do not get a neon sign transformer. It simply won't provide the power you need because at the current it's rated for, it'll only give 1-2k volts. That will just be a huge waste of money. They work for plasma but not fusion. Also if you want to pick one up (they're handy to have for various HV work and plasma test) then I'd suggest finding a local neon sign distributor and asking if you can have pickings at their junk-pile of transformers. I got 3 12k 60ma transformers for $15 each that way and they work great.

For fusion, you need either an x-ray transformer or a high voltage lab supply (such as a glassman supply). I bought a 125kv 250ma xray transformer core on ebay and put it in my own oil tank and added rectifiers which is working great.
Squidhat

Post by Squidhat »

Since I'm not an expert, I don't have the final say. But based on past similar questions and the answers from the experts, this sounds like a great starting HV. Definitely plasma material once you finish it.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Ben,

Neon transformers are a well-established source of power for "demo"-class fusors. Richard Hull has a definitive FAQ in the HV forum about them. There are also many discussions accessible via the search feature that explain their particulars.

It will indeed be very hard to do measurable fusion with an NST, but they're a safe, proven, and affordable place to start fusor experiments.

The most common and affordable sources of power for "Neutron Club" fusors are x-ray power supplies.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

In addition to my FAQ in the forums, I also placed a copy of my article placed in Electric Spacecraft Journal on amateur use of and limitations associated with neon sign transformers.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7945#p57349

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”