Lithium vapor injected into fusor with deuterium fusion initiation.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Lithium trick

Lithium vapor injected into fusor with deuterium fusion initiation.

Post by Lithium trick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 am

Just a thought, I have reason to believe this could enhance a fusion reaction without the regulations of using tritium in such experiments. Any thoughts on subject by those who might know? I think this would be an interesting addition to such an experiment. Home brewed tritium is a possibility, I'm unaware of any such research on this subject using a Fusor. I believe a small vapor sputter of lithium would enhance neutron flux generation.

By the way, I can laser cut anything needed to make a fusor, grids and such and have over thirty years of TIG welding experiance and have built many high vacuum systems for the semi-conductor R and D field. So I can help others in their research. I might need a bit of help on safe construction of power supplies for a fusor. Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.

Chris Bradley

Re: Lithium vapor injected into fusor with deuterium fusion initiation.

Post by Chris Bradley » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 am

The nuclear reaction rates are just waaay too slow in a fusor. There is no serious prospect of seeing fusion products in a fusor undergoing a second reaction, nor that the neutron output is high enough to chance a tritium-producing reaction with lithium. It'll happen, of course, but the probability is almost zero. Bear in mind that the triutium production you are proposing is already happening. A DD reaction ends up with a triton and a proton ~50% of the time, whereas the other half of the time you get a 3He and a neutron. There's no way that 50% of the neutrons from the latter are going to interact with any lithium you put in there, so the first fork of that DD reaction will give you all the tritium you are likely to be able to make use of. A measured 1E6 neutron/s output is thus producing ~1E6 tritons per second also.

Lithium trick

Post by Lithium trick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Well it was just a thought, that's why I posted it. Thanks for the reply though. However any idea's on a source of proper grid materials, tungsten in a thin sheet form seems unlikely to be available, Stainless steel is cheap, thallium most likely very expensive, How about Ni/crome alloy? Commonly used in heating elements such as toasters and blow dryers. I had a source for salvaged high vacuum pumps, but the source went out of business. As far as shielding the fusor, not a problem as we all know, however could one direct a portion of the neutrons via a wave guide as a generator source? It seems this would be useful commercially. The H3 conversion seems to be a good source for medical isotope production, or other app's.

gamempire

Post by gamempire » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Rick,

The Li6 discussion has come up quite a bit during my ongoing efforts. Rather then a vapor though, maybe think about a solid target with a Lithium thin film on it? Its much easier to hit a solid target then it is to hit another ion at the focal point of the grid

I'll shoot you an email to discuss it a bit further, and I might even bug you for some help making a grid to hold a solid target...because the guys in the machine shop at GWU aren't that great at welding =P

Lithium trick

Post by Lithium trick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Here's another thought on neutrons. Take a convex metal mirror blank and have it vapor coated with Beryllium. Then take a source of alpha particles, say like a sample of Americium 241 and use the source to bombard the targeted mirror with the alpha particles, the stand off distance should be less then 39 mm, as alpha particles don't travel far. Neutron generator possibly? It should work. Any thoughts? Or use a research reactor to irradiate some Bismuth, this would convert the Bismuth into Polonium 210. I suggest this as just a thought, I know where several such reactors are locally. Oh, it's the stuff that dreams are made I know, but if I can think it up, so can someone else too.

Just a thought...

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:34 pm

For what purpose? I don't see how you would raise enough neutrons even for some activation experiments, with this setup (I could be wrong, but how much Americium can you get? How thick will the Beryllium be?).

I do like your idea of having some sort of directional wave guide for neutrons, in your last post. I like it, because if it could be done then there will be a Nobel prize in there somewhere, I expect. Let me know your plans (then I will claim the idea for myself!)

Lithium trick

Post by Lithium trick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Neutron sources are used for lots of things commercially, airport security scanners, medical isotope activation for short lived isotopes, Lots of local hospitals use and need such isotopes often on short notice and shipping is a real problem as you can imagine. There is a company in Germany that uses deuterium gas in a Fusor for an airport security scanner. So yes it can be done. They use gangs of fusors to generate the output they need. The company was a division, believe it or not, owned by Chrysler.

As far as wave guiding neutrons, it was done with the development of the H bomb after WWII.

Read the excellent book called "Dark Sun" by Richard Rhodes, early tests done by Edward Teller, clearly used such techniques for the instrumentation of the devices and I knew a man here locally who personally handled the Liquid deuterium at Enewetok Atoll in the South Pacific.He told me when they set this device off, their ship was over thirty miles away, that's well over the horizon, and they could n't even see the Atoll, and the flash was just astounding. The back reflection of the blast off the atmoshere was beyond their expectations. Just about any radiation I can think of can be wave guided. All the way from the infrared end of the spectrum though microwaves to visible, up to x rays and gamma rays. Of course the wave guides went up with the devices. The first test shot device weighed in at 60 tons, so it was not a practicle device for military purposes.

Lithium trick

Post by Lithium trick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 pm

www.NSDFusion.com,

German made commercial neutron generators. Check out site

Lithium trick

Post by Lithium trick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm

nsdfusion.com

A linear fusor, not spherical grid design. D-T measured out put was done at 14 MeV! at 90 Kv. Now that has my attention. Lot's of good stuff at this site. You should check it out. This is a good site for all to check out here.

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm

I think we're well aware of NSD here. It gets an occasional mention on the forum. I think you'll find it is 'cylindrical' rather than linear, and benefits over DD fusors here by using DT. It's mainly used for dropping down wells to check out geological morphology.

I'm still not sure I understand what you are saying/topic you are raising. Fusion neutrons are always emitted [almost, as makes no difference] isotropically.