A few noob questions

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
hitman2007

A few noob questions

Post by hitman2007 »

Hi all, I've been reading quite a lot of material regarding fusion and fusors but I still have some questions:

1. Has anyone ever built a fusor in a pressure cooker? Would it be feasible to use one to build a demo fusor? If so, how could a viewport be incorporated into the structure?

2. How is the inner grid isolated from the chamber in the aperture through which the grid enters the chamber? Also, how do you completely seal this "hole" to achieve an hermetic chamber?

3. Somewhere around here is a diagram for the wiring of a neon transformer for its use in a fusor, but it speaks of microwave oven diodes. Do these diodes can only be found in microwave ovens? Surely they can be acquired somewhere else

4. I'll probably be using a borrowed vacuum pump, however is there a chance of catastrophic and irreversible failure of the pump during the operation of the fusor?

Thx!
MarkS

Re: A few noob questions

Post by MarkS »

I'll answer these briefly:
1. Yes, Dan Tibbets - screen name "Dan DT", has made a pressure cooker "demo" fusor. Under recent threads there's a lengthy post about his demo fusor and the effect of magnets on the plasma.

2. Very carefully. There are also a lot of threads devoted to this topic. Most of which would be found using the search function, and looking under the 'Fusor Construction and Operation' or 'High Voltage' boards.

3. Yes there is a diagram, and lengthy article by Richard Hull about neon sign xfrmrs. No, you can get high voltage diodes on ebay. I got mine from china for a few cents a piece.

4. Not if used properly, ie grounding everything.

Use the search function extensively, there's a wealth of knowledge floating around forums.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

>Has anyone ever built a fusor in a pressure cooker?

Jorge, are you familiar with the search feature here? This forum has existed for nine years, and the old "songs" forum available here (https://fusor.net/old-boards/songs.com/) was around before that. Newcomers should respect the sheer volume of knowledge that gets aired in a community such as this over the span of a decade, and post new questions only after visiting the archives. In fact, pressure cookers even make the list of most recent discussions. READ the forum. Thank you and welcome.

>How is the inner grid isolated from the chamber in the aperture through which the grid enters the chamber? Also, how do you completely seal this "hole" to achieve an hermetic chamber?

Vocabulary lesson: "feedthrough."

>Do these diodes can only be found in microwave ovens? Surely they can be acquired somewhere else

EBay? Microwave oven repair shops (most cities have a few)? Microwave oven parts distributors? Google?

>I'll probably be using a borrowed vacuum pump, however is there a chance of catastrophic and irreversible failure of the pump during the operation of the fusor?

Yes. Just how catastrophic it might be depends on whose pump you borrow and how much it's worth. To people who use pumps they got surplus, this is effectively a non-issue. On the other extreme, if you borrow someone's brand-new turbopump and do not read the instructions, this will be like crashing a Ferrari. Though again, depending on your means, it may not be catastrophic.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
AllenWallace

Post by AllenWallace »

> pressure cooker?
Look for an aluminum cooker with the thickest metal walls. I'm thinking that older cookers may be better. Others can eaily argue that SS (Stainless Steel) is better, there are pros and cons. Steel is easier welded or brazed.

One thing to watch for: the pressure cooker gasket is designed for 'pressure' and not vacuum. The gasket may slide inward.

> viewport ?
Just carefully bore a hole. then sandwich an o-ring between a glass plate and the metal. The vacuum pressure should hold it in place. When you release the vacuum, the glass will fall off or slide around, but this can be managed.

feedthroughs... Try researching the old forums regarding spark plug feedthroughs. you get a non-resistor plug, and install it backwards.

>chance of catastrophic and irreversible failure of the pump?
if you are using a traditional rotary vane pump, I can't see much which can go wrong. Just remember to vent the pump when you shut it off or pump oil may suck back into your vacuum chamber.
hitman2007

Post by hitman2007 »

Okay that answers my questions completely. I'll start searching for more info on feedthroughs
Thx Allen
JohnCuthbert

Post by JohnCuthbert »

I guess you are asking about using a pressure cooker because you are trying to keep costs down. If that's the case you might want to think about using a spark plug as a feedthrough. It will probably work better with the "spark gap" outside the vacuum chamber and the ceramic bit inside, rather than the "normal" way round.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”