Recommendations for supplier of indium foil?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Todd Massure

Recommendations for supplier of indium foil?

Post by Todd Massure »

I'm planning on purchasing some indium foil soon and wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who has good prices & selection. I'm looking for minimum of 2 sheets of at least 5" x 5".

No one online seems to have much in the way of prices or what products are available without calling or emailing for a quote so I thought I'd see if any of you have any experience.

I'm also planning on cutting it into shapes so any suggestions on a minium thickness for the foil for easy workability would be helpful too.

Thanks for any help

Todd Massure
Starfire

Re: Recommendations for supplier of indium foil?

Post by Starfire »

Todd - it may be difficult to obtain in the sheet size you require.
Indium is soft and can be easily rolled with a small hand mill - R.Hull will supply, but I am not sure the largest width.
Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I got mine from here, though not in foil form, I intend to try and flatten it myself, cost me around £10 for a piece.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-MISTS-OF-A ... idZ2QQtZkm

I also got cadmium to go with it, as I saw a reference to using it to aid neutron detection, further information about that would be appreciated if anyone cares to add details.

I'm also wondering what one should use to roll the indium with, is stainless steel roller and flat surface ok ?
mobious

Post by mobious »

Here's where I buy most of my elements for my periodic table collection. It's a soft metal, just flatten it using a heavy piece of bar stock or something.

http://www.elementsales.com/pl_element.htm#in

Alternatively, you can open an account with Alfa Aesar and order them in Foil,Slug,spuddering targets, etc,etc. They can be a little on the pricey side.
AFW

Post by AFW »

Aldrich do 100mm x 100mm, 0.5mm thick, 99.999%, but it costs a small fortune (Cat No. 326631-36.8G) £395, so probably ~$500. 0.1mm is approx half this price, per area, or you can get 100mm by 6mm. rods for £95.20. If you use them you'll probably have to order via a friendly chemical Co or university dept (The former would be easier, as it would be difficult to arrange payment through academic institution)
Tony Webb
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Geez! That's the biz and $500.00 is the norm. That was $32.00/square inch! Both sheets, together, would not equal a troy ounce of indium.

Indium is out of sight on price. (about $35.00-$40.00/troy oz), but only if you buy a kilogram or more! It will be a big ole ingot, of course.

Any finished form asked for sees the price go to the stratosphere.

The price of the sheeting you asked for has nothing to do with the amount of metal or its market price, but only the specific form requested.

I work with 9999 indium and can roll it out regularly, but 2" widths are about the maximum I can produce with my metal rolling mill.

The thickness of the indium might best be about .010 inches or a bit thicker. Indium is nasty stuff to roll as it behaves like cookie dough, sticking to the rollers and often gumming the mill up, especially in fine, very thin sheets. There is a limit, of sorts, and the failure to roll to a tight spec is where the $$$$ comes in.....Lotsa' boo-boo's and wasted rolls and remelts.

We have absolutely no need for any sort of tight spec. as Goodfellow or Aldrich adhere to.

Indium sheeting due to its density and softness handles like a thin, uncooked pizza crust and tears easily if mis-handled.

The above tells the tale of indium, to a dregree.

I will roll and send to any person in the U.S. provided I am not held to any tight spec beyond 9999 purity.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
hanbillion

Post by hanbillion »

Hi Todd,
I am glad to inform you that we are in a positon to supply indium foil, and we have our factory to process indium products such as indium foil, indium wire, indium ball, indium powder, indium target, etc.. The quality is high standard, and the price is very favorable.
Indium foil is ideal for creating cryogenic vacuum seals. High quality Indium foil is available in many sizes, or they can be custom made to customers' requirements. Indium foil is supplied in sheet form. We make Indium foil sheets in sizes up to 400 square millimeters. The most requested sizes are 0.1*100*100mm, 0.1*150*150mm, 0.2*100*100mm, etc.
If there is any interest, please feel free to contact me for more details. My email address is: tonyhantao@gmail.com
Best regards,
Tony
Attachments
In all-s.jpg
In all-s.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
Nanos

Post by Nanos »

If you could post some example prices and postage costs to US and UK I think we would all find it helpful as a reference.

I'm sure we all realise that prices will go out of date, but it could save us all wasted time and effort if your prices and delivery options are found to be way out of our budget range.
hanbillion

Post by hanbillion »

Hi Nanos,
Thanks for your message.
You know we process indium products by ourselves, and the price is very favorable. For your reference, our current price for indium wire 4N(99.99%min) with diameter 1.0mm is USD12/meter FOB Changsha, China. Meanwhile, our current pirce for indium foil 4N with dimension 0.125mm(thickness)x100mmx100mm is USD40/piece FOB Changsha, China. However, the price is still negotiable according to your quantity.
As for sample less than 500 grams, the shipping freight by TNT courier service is USD35 to USA, and USD40 to UK at present. We have many customers from USA and UK, some are also University or Research Academe.
By the way, we can deliver the goods within 48 hours upon receipt of your payment.
If there is any question, please feel free to contact me for details.
Best regards,
Tony Han

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”