oops! Ordered wrong half nipples?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
mobious

oops! Ordered wrong half nipples?

Post by mobious »

I ordered (10) ROTATABLE 2.75" CF half nipples. However, while pricing feed-through's and Swagelok adapters I noticed they don't specify whether the feed-through or adaptors are rotatable or non-rotatable. Is this going to be a factor?

I think I'm mis-understanding the terms. I figured the rotatable and non-rotatable versions had seperate bolt patterns. Surfing the net it looks like the bolt pattern is always the same. So, does the rotatable version have some sort of "colar" that allows you to rotate then entire flange before tightening the bolts?

I'm glad I didn't weld them on....I'd really be kicking myself.
UG!

Re: oops! Ordered wrong half nipples?

Post by UG! »

rotatable and non-rotatable CF flanges are compleatly compatable. only differance is (as you corectly guessed) rotatable flanges have a ring with the bolt holes in seperate from the pipe and the knife edge.

it shouldn;t be a problem, you'l just have a rather rattely fusor intil you bolt stuff onto the nipples :)

if welding rotatable flanges, be shour to slip on the bolt hole color first!

Oliver
mobious

Post by mobious »

brilliant! Thank you.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Glen - as to the vacuum equivalence of rotatable vs non- rotatable flanges, ( the pipe stub/nipple won't rotate when it's welded to the hemisphere) - they are effectively identical.

However, for an application like a fusor, where your external geometry is probably not completely known at this time, rotatable flanges allow you align all the parts and fittings to put things where they need to be. You definitely need a few.

Dave Cooper
mobious

Post by mobious »

Thanks for the info. I had that thought in mind when I ordered them but scared myself by not making sure the "accessories" were compatible. Hind sight revealed it's mostly idiot proof.

I now have all parts for the sphere on-hand or in the mail. Anybody know a rough estimate for how much a machine shop would charge to mill my sphere's? I just need 5 holes poked in each hemisphere and maybe about 1/4" of the hemisphere removed at the lip to prevent the egg look. I'd like to know when/if I'm getting over charged.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Depends on the Weld shop. Few work at $25.00/hr anymore. Most are $50-$75 per hour and the best are $100.00/hour. The best will take less time to complete the task once started due to modern tooling. Rush jobs command a stiff premium. I would think milling only would be $100.00-200.00 adding welding might double the price.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”