Problems associated with outergrid-less fusors

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
argrzank

Problems associated with outergrid-less fusors

Post by argrzank »

What kind of problems will (might) I encounter if my fusor does not have an outer grid?

Little Update on the fusor:
We, my advisor for this project (the guy who's allowing me to spend the university's money) and I, just ordered about $5000 worth of parts. With the parts that were ordered, we should have a demo fusor within the next 6 months. Most of the fusor is going to be brand new, we did scrounge some diagnostic equipment for different experiments later in the year and some valves, our diffusion pump, and roughing pump. We ordered a 50kV 10amp feedthrough from ceramtec, which is beautiful, but I don't want to spoil the rest just yet.

Andrew Grzankowski
marsbeyond

Re: Problems associated with outergrid-less fusors

Post by marsbeyond »

Problems with virtual grids? Tom Ligon told me that their wiffle ball collapsed quickly once and they created a mini emp effect in the neighborhood.
UG!

Post by UG! »

a non-spherical outer grid or outer caseing will result in a poorly focused plasma. i descovered this with my cylindrical vacuum chamber. put a spherical outer grid round it and the problem goes away.

Oliver
Donald McKinley

Post by Donald McKinley »

O.G.

>descovered this with my cylindrical vacuum chamber. put a spherical >outer grid round it and the problem goes away.

This raises interesting possibilities for shaping resonances within the fusor.

Don

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”