Fusor cleaning time!

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Tman

Fusor cleaning time!

Post by Tman »

I am getting ready to give everything an acetone cleaning. Then I'll flush my recently aquired 3" diffusion pump with some 91% isopropyl, and heat it a while to evaporate any water.

After cleaning I just have to wait for the bubble detectors I ordered to arrive. I dont want to bother injecting D2 unless I have at least one neutron detector around.
My He3 detector is getting close.

-Thiago Olson
Attachments
pics8-19-06 022 small.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Fusor cleaning time!

Post by Richard Hull »

Good luck on cleansing your system. It is a good idea to start fusion experiments in a clean atmosphere, no matter how reduced that atmosphere is.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Re: Fusor cleaning time!

Post by DaveC »

Acetone is very volatile, but it is a good idea after the liquid solvent has evaporated, to apply a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to each part until it is to hot to hold in your (gloved) hand. This will dramatically shorten the initial pumpdown, and help keep your pump oils (assuming a mechanical roughing pump and diffusion pump) clean.

A healthy amount of gas ballast in the roughing pump for the first half hr is also a good idea.

System parts look good. You are ready to begin.

Dave Cooper

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”