Fusor cleaning time!

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Tman

Fusor cleaning time!

Post by Tman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:59 pm

I am getting ready to give everything an acetone cleaning. Then I'll flush my recently aquired 3" diffusion pump with some 91% isopropyl, and heat it a while to evaporate any water.

After cleaning I just have to wait for the bubble detectors I ordered to arrive. I dont want to bother injecting D2 unless I have at least one neutron detector around.
My He3 detector is getting close.

-Thiago Olson
Attachments
pics8-19-06 022 small.jpg
pics8-19-06 022 small.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 640 times

Richard Hull

Re: Fusor cleaning time!

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:19 pm

Good luck on cleansing your system. It is a good idea to start fusion experiments in a clean atmosphere, no matter how reduced that atmosphere is.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

DaveC

Re: Fusor cleaning time!

Post by DaveC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:44 pm

Acetone is very volatile, but it is a good idea after the liquid solvent has evaporated, to apply a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to each part until it is to hot to hold in your (gloved) hand. This will dramatically shorten the initial pumpdown, and help keep your pump oils (assuming a mechanical roughing pump and diffusion pump) clean.

A healthy amount of gas ballast in the roughing pump for the first half hr is also a good idea.

System parts look good. You are ready to begin.

Dave Cooper