Carbon Composite Grid idea.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Chris Trent

Carbon Composite Grid idea.

Post by Chris Trent »

What you see here is a mock up / construction test of a pin wound Carbon composite Geodesic internal grid. It took about 15 minutes to complete to this stage.

The heavy black lines are thin yarn, which in the real article will be carbon fiber. The white sphere is a styrofoam ball of the appropriate size, in this case 2", which has been marked using a pen and compass with a geodesic pattern. Pins are inserted into the vertices of interlocking circles drawn on the styrofoam form and yarn is wound from pin to pin to form the grid. Adhesive is then applied to bind the strands of yarn together. In a day or so, once the adhesive is set, the pins will be removed and the whole thing will be dipped in an organic solvent to remove the styrofoam leaving only the grid.

Unfortunately I don't have a fusor to experiment with, nor the equipment to make one (Nor the permission of my wife). Prehaps one of you could make some ground with this design.

If you're interested, the Ball cost $0.38, everything else cost even less or was readily available.
No welding involved.
Initial use should, theoretically, carbonize the adhesive forming a low grade carbon/carbon composite.

Any thoughts, interest?
Attachments
GeoBallGrid.jpg
Roberto Ferrari

Re: Carbon Composite Grid idea.

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Chris,
The whole idea is nice. It has a touch of early Edison' filaments.
What about the rigidity of the grid, after dissolving the styrofoam?
What about the joining points when the pins will not be there?
Remember that usually is employed tungsten due to its highest melting point. The grid needs to stand "under fire".
May be the only doubtful point is the carbon composite and the procedure can be applied to tantalum or tungsten grids.
Roberto
Chris Trent

Re: Carbon Composite Grid idea.

Post by Chris Trent »

The pins will be removed before dissolving the styrofoam.

Based on my previous experience with composites, the grid should be rigid and self supporting but somewhat brittle once the styrofoam is removed.

I have no idea how well it will really perform, only tests will tell.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”