New target operations

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
3l

New target operations

Post by 3l »

Hi Folks:

I have been waiting dilligently for my Bf3 detector to sell...but people are very broke out there. So I devised new experiments to use it before it left. I am now doing pulses at 100kv deuterons into a preloaded Ti target. the literature has reported 10^10 neutrons per second out of thin Ti targets.
Richard Hull

Re: New target operations

Post by Richard Hull »

The cold fusion community is constantly loading up metal lattices. The three most used metals are, in order.

Palladium
Titanium
Nickel

All soak up H isotopes. I just bought another couple of ounces of palladium for experiment, but the stuff is going through the roof again and finished forms are outrageous. (wire, sheet, foil) They command about 1000% over spot price per unit mass!! Insane!

Ti is cheap and very usable, but of a second order of H soakup compared to Pd.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Alex Aitken

Post by Alex Aitken »

Ti though has a lot less electrons per atom and for bombardment the quality factor is number of electrons of hydrogen divided by the total number of electrons. Titanium also forms a thermally stable molecular hydride whereas the goal for palladium loading in CF tends to be intersticial.

Incidentally Larry, solid Ti targets don't do quite so well. The deuterium wanders instead of building up. Ideally the Ti needs to be only very fractionally thicker than deuteron depth, so a few microns on copper works well.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Guys:

My post was cut short by a fellow trying to email his brother in Iraq.
I know of Ti's limitations. ...all too well.
It will soak up and " lose" deuterium rather well at Fusor voltages (15kv and up).
3/32 inch targets can vacuum up vast quantities of deuterium.
Driving in deuterium at 100 kv and above is a futile effort.
It implants the deuterium too far into the target.
At first I tried to chemically load the targets like the Appleton Labs
by a chemical electroplating with the target as the negative electrode in a deuterium oxide cell.
The finished target though rich with D2 was "water" logged with excess D2O.
Pumpdown to 10 ^-6 was pretty much a wet dream (pun intended)
I finally came up with a two step method that seems to work really well in the 10^10 N/sec region.
At 10 torr bombard the target with 7 kv deuterons at 100 amps.
I used my ion pump power supply to "pump" the target.
After bombarding is done the low voltage supply is put aside .
The diffusion pump is turned on and the ion pump is reconnected.
The tube is then evacuated down to 10^6 torr.
100 kv is then attached as the accelerating voltage.
In one hour of bombardment the target was usuable at 10^10 N/sec for a short ten minute run.
A friend told me that deuterium ions tend to the hot side of the target under bombardation so it leaks away into the pump as a gas.
My next move is to use 10 kv at high amperage on the target and see
if this proposed effect is true or not.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
ex-engineer

Post by ex-engineer »

Hmm, as I recall from my engineering classes, 7kV at 100 amps would be.... a really big number. Aren't the neighbors complaining that there's no electrons left for them?

Matt
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

700,00 watts out of a wall outlet as an ion bombarder is a bit warm. That energy not only has to come from somewhere it has to wind up as latent heat somewhere too.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

A zero short Richard (a typo, it happens to me too).
Larry,

700 kW - 1 MW ? Wow! Where can you get that in steady state mode from a wall outlet? That's the consumption of a whole neighbourhood. Or do you intend to use caps and pulse?

Adam
walter_b_marvin

Post by walter_b_marvin »

Reply to leins 2005-01-27 9:44

You'd better call an electrician for that one... 100 amps at 220 is the highest I've ever seen in a home

You might get an old line transformer and a few dozen 10 farad caps ...
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have 200 amp service at my house due to my lab and old Tesla coil work (had the service doubled in 1989). But that is still only a paultry 48,000 watts, and that is at the drop! My lab, by itself, only has a 100 amp box.....I was regretably forced to allow the other 100 amps go flow into my home.

Sadly, I am limited to a rather miserly 24,000 watts in my experiments. Of course no fusor experiment I have ever been involved in ever sucked over 500 watts out of the wall. Of course, the vacuum stuff and all instrumentation and ancillary gear used in fusor operation pulled about as much juice as the nuclear reactor itself!

The tesla stuff did run at 240 volts @ 60 amps at its most fearsome moment (circa 1994). But even that one run which destroyed a clothes washer and two computers was only a pitifull 14,400 watts.

Richard Hull
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Guys;

Yes, I goofed by reading the amps off the back plate of the ps.
turned out it is a 1 amp at 7kv supply.
the decimal is real faint ....the supply is a 7kw rated hv supply.
Thanks guys!

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”