MODERATORS

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
hartman3704

MODERATORS

Post by hartman3704 »

Any one tried using berylium as a moderator, or even H2O? What happens in a S.S. chamber, is there contamination? In the Tokomak the problem is iron contamintaion (usualy) which leads to hard x-rays and lost power. Also what about using EMF to keep neuts from reaching the vessel walls? Any one wishing to discuss fusion meet on 1.865MHz, after 20:00 EST call KB8PDU. ~Robert
henryhallam

Re: MODERATORS

Post by henryhallam »

As far as I'm aware nobody has tried Beryllium as a moderator, although it's a light nucleus and would probably work (having a small cross section for thermal neutron absorption) it's generally pretty toxic stuff. I believe it's used as a neutron reflector in nuclear bombs.
Water has been used by a couple of people, notably Carl Willis who did some activation experiments using solution of a manganese compound. I think Craig Wallace used a stack of AOL CDs as moderator!
Good old paraffin works pretty well though and the rem-balls supplied with most neutron counters are made of that.

Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by contamination? Are you talking about iron from the shell getting into the plasma itself?

I am a bit out of my depth talking about the neutron magnetic moment but I don't think there's a realistic way to stop neutrons exiting the chamber that way, besides you don't want to as the main point of the fusor is to produce neutrons...

Henry
badflash

Post by badflash »

Lots of people are using REM Ball type neutron detectors. These used a big ball of poly to moderate the neutrons so they can be detected by themal reactions. Beyond detection, we've not been very interested in doing anything with the neutrons that I know of.

The fusor doesn't run long enough or put out a high enough flux at the power most of us can run it at to cause much activation.

Berylium was used on some of the old test reactors, but it isn't a very effecient moderator. It can be used as a neutron source by bombarding it with high energy alpha or electrons.
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

If you look at the archives here you will find a large body of activation work done by a couple of our members about a year or so ago (Carl and Jon, if I remember correctly). I don't recall the flux needed for detectable activation, but the fusors themselves were capable of over 10^6 neutrons/second. A few inches of water made a dandy moderator, as well as a few blocks of paraffin. There were some specific studies done on the thicknessof moderator needed. Beryllium would work as a moderator, but it's expensive and toxic.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

As every one has said, Beryllium is just out of the question as a moderator. No one here could afford even two or three pounds of the stuff and that is not enough to do anything with anyway. Beryllium is much better when used as a reflector.

Water is easy to use and is used to moderate neutrons for both activation work and detection of the fast neutrons. With paraffin you have to cast a flammable substance which is still fairly easy if you are careful. Polyethylene is really nice, but a bit expensive and must be milled or machined to shape.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Alex Aitken

Post by Alex Aitken »

Carl also did an MCNP study on moderators and the important result was density of protons is all that matters. Higher atomic weight elements/isotopes like deuterium, berylium or carbon may be better moderators by virtue of lower capture crosssection.but with a point source you fight the inverse squared law as much as you fight moderator efficiency.
pfostini

Post by pfostini »

Would Be Oxide ceramic work?
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

BeO would work OK as a moderator, but if I had that much of the stuff hanging around, I'd use it for something else, given its good thermal conductivity and insulating properties (and high cost). Water/paraffin/HDPE are good enough for our purposes, and are a lot easier to procure and deal with...
Alex Aitken

Post by Alex Aitken »

If you were building a reactor, BeO would work. If you are trying to do activation studies or neutron detector work with a fusor it'd be useless. Density of the thermal neutrons on the surface of the moderator is what is important, not the total number over the whole area.
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

also remeber, that Beryllium is an effeciently transparent and refractive material for x-rays.

Darius
Alex Aitken

Post by Alex Aitken »

Transparent I agree with, by virtue of its low atomic number, refractive? I dont think so somehow, though with single crystals its probably diffractive to an extent.
dlsworks

Post by dlsworks »

well it has a refractive index such that it is tantamount ot being able to lens x-rays..infact one of the only substances known to man

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:mLHq ... rays&hl=en

my only consideration, as I don't think anybody here actually wants to lens x-rays it would be of some minor concern if not a major one if certain arrangments were made convinient for them.....rather, x-rays.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”