Re: Clarification

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Roger:

You are at tad bit confused about the mason jar's purpose.
The mason jar is intended as a teaching aid to study plasmas.
Not to do fusion...Got that!
You are obsessing a bit here.
All neutron work must be done in a metal vessel...Period.
All neutron work requires more than an NST.
A kw of power for the 10^6 neutrons/sec. (Jon's fusor)
We are developing ways around the Tritium gas.
Working around the legallities of tritium gas is fruitless.
We can't get it PERIOD.
That does not make us pseudo scientists but pragmatic realists.
A calibrated working instrument is a known entity . Get it calibrated by a good company ...it is good to go. New or old
it does not matter if it passes calibration.
People on this site are at differing levels of ability.
Richard does an excellent job raising our level of training.
One size does not fit all....the more folks the better.

Deuterium and He3 is another path to take..
But Deuterium alone will probably work.
The fusion ball is called a poisser not a pisser.
It is a free country so far.
You are entittled to your opinion and I mine.
But let's be civil here.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
hartman3704

Post by hartman3704 »

Hi Larry, that's my point exactly... People on this forum who claim to produce fusion with a NST and a mason jar. We are in agreement then. Most of them don't even have a clue about working with H.V. and vacuum. I had to laugh when reading a few of the home web sites. I've gained most of my hi-vac and high voltage knowlege from the many laser projects I've completed. Do you know some of these guy's are using RTV sillicone as vacuum seals? LOL! Outgas city! They don't uderstand that thier expeeriments are contaminated with god knows what. My last laser was an argon ion unit. Even with a difussion pump, a cold trap, and a really nice two stage rotary pump it took several attempts at getting a decent fill. Vacuum is not for the meek and unaware, many special skills are needed. Again I appologize for those whom I may have wrongfully affended, my post was aimed at basement expeerimenters who have no idea what there are doing.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Roger:

We have a lot of people that are total newbies. I hope between all these posts some light will be spread around here. All the 15 folks that have done real fusion (with neutrons) have done it in a metal sphere. We try to differentiate all the divisions in our fusioneer list. Plasma club is just that plasma training for folks new to the fusor technology. No one has yet gone on to neutron fusing without this first step. Even Richard Hull started in the glass belljar before he started in metal. I did some pulse stuff in a bell jar but I used a metal can to prevent electron beams from cratering the glass jar. I went to all conflat after a few years of screwing with homemade.
I never used rtv at all.
The plasma step shakes down your vacuum gear so you can trust it later in the neutron phase.
Oh yeah "Star in a Jar" is from a reporter's lips.
During an interview with Wallace Allen as I recall.
That description has captured the popular imagination unfortunately. So most people assume fusion happens in the jar.
Correction: plasma on the way to fusion occurs.
No deuterium.... no fusion

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
plasmann

Post by plasmann »

Sounds like you are using old stuff you can buy on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Diffusion pumps, cold traps, rotory vane mechanical pumps? How could you possibly do real science with equipment like that? How much oil do you mix with your Ar to get you laser to lase?
hartman3704

Post by hartman3704 »

Really old equipment, hmm... Let's see, the difussion pump, yes. The two stage r.p. no way, check any modern neon sign shop and see what they are using. Was it real science, well my project works... Does yours? Oil in the Argon??? LOL! And no, nothing was purchased from Ebay. ~Robert
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

>>>>Oh yeah "Star in a Jar" is from a reporter's lips.
During an interview with Wallace Allen as I recall.<<<

Hey! That one 's mine! I started using that expression in like 1975 - at one point that's what we thought we'd call the Teevee Movie that never got made. Who's "Wallace Allen"

I don't get credit for much around here (not that I deserve much, I haven't built anything or produced neutron #1)) but you're not taking that one away from me!

(all said with a toothy grin...)

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Paul:

Wallace Allan is the other person to do pulse fusion.
He was interviewed by a reporter in Utah.
They mentioned star in a jar in his interview.
BTW It hit the Discovery channel as I recall.
They were freaked out that someone as young as Wallace had built a fusion reactor.
It been two or three years ago.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

I think you mean Craig Wallace.
pfostini

Post by pfostini »

Someone mention filling laser tubes? I might know what pumps are really required for that, if you want one that works well.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”