Aluminum chambers

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
ScottC

Aluminum chambers

Post by ScottC »

Has anyone tried to make a spherical aluminum chamber? I made a radius cutting attachment for my lathe a few years ago and was thinking that a machined aluminum chamber with faced flanges wouldn't be that hard to do on the lathe.

How would aluminum work as a neutron producing D-D fusor chamber?

Scott
MARK-HARRISS

Re: Aluminum chambers

Post by MARK-HARRISS »

You'd be far better off spinning sheet aluminium or even stainless to shape. If you look at some of the huge billet extrusions of aluminium there are some visible defects on the outside so there may be some on the inside too that would leak vacuum. I think the "Amateur telescope making" series of books has an article on home spinning, I could be wrong though.

Mark H
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Aluminium has a "soft" structure, and can outgas madly. I've considerd aluminium myself, but folks here talked me out of it thankfully. Aluminium isn't as strong as steel either (duraluminium (used for airplanes) maybe, but i'm not sure).

Adam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Aluminum will afford close to zero X-ray protection starting at a much lower voltage than an SS fusor of equal thickness. (low Z material)

Aluminum welding can be done readily with the same TIG setup that is used for SS, but is far more difficult to even get slightly good at than SS where a novice can quickly get the hang of the process. All fittings for vacuum use of a complicated nature are all in SS, though small barbs and nipples can be found in brass and aluminum.

Anyone attempting a spherical fusor in Aluminum had best be ready for an uphill battle or have the services of a first rate machinist/welder at their disposal. SS is actually cheaper in spun materials to build than aluminum!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
paulriley

Post by paulriley »

Scott,
what is your goal in using Aluminium?
do you want to experiment with D - Al interactions,
or just for fun?
Paul

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”