Has anybody tried replacing the grid with a target?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
NateTG

Has anybody tried replacing the grid with a target?

Post by NateTG »

Since I am a noob, I figured I'd ask. Has anybody tried running a fusor with a block of Lithium (or some other fusile material) instead of a grid, or coated the grid with a fusile material?
3l

Re: Has anybody tried replacing the grid with a target?

Post by 3l »

Hi:

Its being worked on.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

About a year ago, I electroplated a stainless steel inner grid with palladium. I loaded it up with deuterium prior to a run. I saw no difference and now it is obvious that the the losses of the fusor are hundreds (thousands) of times greater than the deuterons that strike the grids.

Lithium deuteride is a good choice for target material but then the fusor becomes a simple collider. Also, lithium deuteride reacts instantly with moisture in the air so there is no easy way with a fusor setups to have a fresh surface of lithium available for targeting. Just waiting for the fusor to pump down, the surface would be changed. You would just be hitting the hydroxide surface and never get to the lithium.

Frank S.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Again, a target that is perfectly deuterated and deuteron bombarded in a fusor type chamber is just a simple spheriac accelerator. Ho-hum....

Inorder to equal the fusion you get in a 30kev simple fusor- collider it would demand an input voltage of nearly 100kev as a spheriac. All the real amateur fusion advantages of the fusor are thrown out the window in a target system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Richard:

I am doing the collider that you illustrated a while back...two ion guns with a grid between. Deuterium to deuterium collisions out produce solid target every time.
it is just for grins.

Happy Fusoring!
LarryLeins
Fusor Tech
NateTG

Post by NateTG »

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems like the lithium oxidizing and the increased voltage and the oxidization should not be that hard to deal with, but if the losses are primarily caused by other mechanisms, then it won't be worthwhile.
jst

Post by jst »

Isn't the SHIVA Project supposed to do something like this with lasers?

Also, a possible hazard here. If you place a millimeter sized sphere of LiD in the exact center and pump down a deuterium atmosphere inside the fusor, you may indeed achieve the result that SHIVA did not. Problem is the thing may explode with a force equal to about 9lb of TnT...
grrr6

Post by grrr6 »

Yes, that would be a problem for anyone close by, but all in the name of science!!

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”