Better Pump

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
theantguy

Better Pump

Post by theantguy »

I thought that might have been the problem.
My uncle has a BIG pump used to create the vaccum between the two insulating layers in liquid nitrogen tanks ... would that work?
Captain_Proton

Re: Better Pump

Post by Captain_Proton »

Keep in mind the geometry of your chamber. It's a fishbowl, so a good vacuum from the inside will distribute its forces on the glass unevenly due to differences in glass thickness at certain points. This could cause the chamber to implode. Who made the pump and what model number is it?
theantguy

Post by theantguy »

I don't know anything specific about the pump. My uncle just mentioned offhand once that he had a vacuum pump used to evacuate the space in liquid nitrogen tanks. It probably doesn't even work--last time I saw it it was just a rusty heap in his yard.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Anthony...

Your uncle's pump, even if rusty on the outside, could well be useable if it still has oil inside. I would suggest getting it and start to clean it up... if.... you can turn the pulley reasonably easily by hand. Getting acquainted with the parts and pieces, vacuum pump oils and fittings , hoses and such... is a good summer pastime.

You can get lots of help from all the experienced ones here if things get confusing..

Dave Cooper.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”