Pulsed Fusor #4 Buiding a 300 watt fusor 3/15/02

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Pulsed Fusor #4

Post by Richard Hull »

No finger pointing here.

Actually, If you examine the thread I pulled it off topic by talking about neutron measurement issues, but gave no specifics. Then specifics were suggested by jim and others..........a natural course of events.

My next reply suggested moving to the metrology forum as I realized the Jim's, Larry's, Bob's and my own comments were perhaps gems of activation analysis discussion that might never be appreciated to a later audience, buried as it was in an off topic issue.

We just need to keep our wits about ourselves in future in reply. Someone needs to belly up to the bar and derail the discussion in their reply to the proper forum with no malice being understood, just proper posting for those curious, latter day newcomers.

In this manner, newcomers looking at construction will see there are neutron measurment issues associated with pulsed fusor operation and follow the suggested path over to the metrology forum around about the same posting date.

Likewise, when the discussion moves, it is incumbent on the derailer to give a clean and clear title to the first posting in the new forum as to what the new "stand alone" posting relates to. In this case, "pulsed fusor neutron activation". This also allows someone not even following the construction derailment who is just looking for activation discussions in the radiation measurement forum to have a vivid handle for a totally separate successful search on the activation issue in general.

This may sound tedious, but it keeps all our gems of knowledge in the proper file drawer.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Re: Pulsed Fusor #4

Post by guest »

I know no fingers were pointed.

This group is becoming a large organization.
Thirty members and counting.
I tried to advise the only female to wander into the site,
but it was daunting. I know where everything is but just remember I had two years to look. I have read and digested most of the literature and read 200-300 books just to be realevent. If young people are to get with us old retired hacks in the fusion game some sort
of educational section must be opened. I was the dependent husband of a college professor, I had unlimited access at the junior college level. I had great instructors. My range of scope is a bit unusual. I have over 300 hours of college, not counting Ole Miss.
I simply took everything. It was free. Took about twenty years but I almost had a complete set courses. All the chemistry. All the engineering physics. All the mechanical engineering and metallurgy with welding and machine shop. All the computer repair. All the industrial controls and robotics. All the mathematics. Most of the computer science. And a whole catalog of electives. I even conducted superconducting reseach at the JC Level. Learned material science on the side.
It was a natural thing for me to crawl through the web site but Kids without my background could be bumfuzzled by the bewildering complexity of the site as it's becoming.

Maybe now before we get much bigger, a newcommer
welome forum with a tutorial is in order.
The time spent on it would free up time for doing the work, rather that answering the same questions over and over again.
This has been posted in general topics also.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”