Fusor Project

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Starfire

Fusor Project

Post by Starfire »

Hi Phil
Just a congrats on the project --- I look forward to the photo's --- what is the web page URL? -- would like to add to the list of site's
John

Re: Fusor Project

Post by guest »

Hi, Thanks all for the great feedback. I will go with degreasing the inside and clean it up well for Hi Vac use. I just got the flanges in on Friday and started to lay it all out. Currently on my site I have pictures of a linear accelerator that I have put together some time ago and laser repair work I do. As soon as I get pictures of the fusor I will devote some pages to it. Here is the URL to my site http://members.home.net/pfostini/

Post by guest »

Phil -- suggest you should include email link on home page -- put diodes in glass tube & fill wiith a good transformer oil
-- it should cut down the corona -- try using high voltage doide string ( EHT Diodes ) and a EHT Flyback Trans will work better than an Ign coil

Post by guest »

PS The Ion gun needs thinking about -- perhaps a hot cathode gun with ring guide ( the anode is concaved ) -- you may be able to insert Deutrium through the anode --- I will try to draw for you later

Post by guest »

Thanks for the excellent information. I took your advice and placed an email link on that page. I am also thinking of using laser despenser cathodes as an ion source ( I have lots). They can be reactivated several times and can handle lots of current. The linear accelerator I made is in the process of being moved and I am making room for the fusor. I am putting together the high vac system and still waiting for the flange adapters for the turbo pump. I am currently pumping with a small Ion pump just to act as a base pump. When the fusor is in operation I plan to switch over to the turbo in order to handle the gas load better.I picked up a neutron counter on ebay for my ludlum detector. It works with my radium/berilium mix but it is also detecting gamma and I need to figure a way to tell what it is picking up. It uses a Model 42-9 BF³ proportional detector with 3"(7.6 cm) diameter cadmium lined moderator for fast neutrons (remove detector from moderator for thermal neutrons)
Once I get the balance of the flanges in I can start machining / welding the fusor up.

Post by guest »

Phil can you accept a ' * . DRW ' ( Acad file )

here is the drawing of the ion gun, the cathode is in the form of a ring and sits in a ceramic or glass well. The system will produce copious ion's ( and also copious X-rays ) I have seen one run with a cold cathode and high current -- Made from Tungsten and water cooled -- the plasma is generated by an RF excitation of the supply current similar to the RF on a TIG welder -- the current of the gun plasma can be very high --- several hundred amps, if required
Attachments

[The extension dwg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Post by guest »

opps, ------ the Anode was made from Tungsten and water cooled ---not the cathode

Post by guest »

Thanks John, Just the design I can build. Your hot cathode ring and distants from the anode, is that critical? I have almost everthing required even the RF source and ceramic ( laser tubes are good for that ) I have Tungsten Discs but I will need to scrounge a bit for a concave disc. On second thought the laser anodes have a concave anode made to handle 60 amps! The cathode can also. With a little work I can make this fit the conflats on the fusor also.
Once again.... thanks

Post by guest »

great Phil -- the idea is that the focal lies well beyond the cathode and into the accelerator field -- you can model it in a simple mock-up by constructing a double diode -- before committing to the accelerator if you wanna try for best position using your dimensions -- the cold cathode ver. can produce a fierce Plasma - if you give it the amps -- note the ion circuit is independent from the main beam circuit -- good luck with the protons John

Post by guest »

Hi John, Thanks for the further info. Double diode as in Vacuum tube like this link ?http://frank.nostalgiaair.org/sheets/030/a/AB1.pdf

I can give that a try to see how to measure it up.
Monday should be the day.

Post by guest »

mmn nop --this is a half-wave rectifier tube use in power supply circuits -- is feed from a split transformer to produce DC using both positive half cycles -- the device which you need to model uses the ring cathode and anode as described and then a second HT anode at the focal -- the structure is that the cahode is above the second HT anode --
Attachments
D-_Diode.doc
(38 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

opps -- sorry Phil, I mean the second Cathode -- the device is the reverse of the double diode as per the url ( which has two Anodes ) --- the one to model, is one with two cathodes -- but it is the arrangement which produces the ions -- also the url d/diode is some times called a full wave rectifier -- but, is in fact an alternate diode -- each anode conducts on opposite half cycles, as the supply transformer is center tapped to ground normally.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”