Fusor from India.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Udayshankar R

Fusor from India.

Post by Udayshankar R »

Hello everyone,

I'm starting my journey in fusor construction. I have been going through this forum for the past year, and now I have some confidence of where to start. I hope this is the correct thread to post this. I have not yet decided if I should build a proto-fusor or a demo fusor. For now I'm just collecting the instruments/materials and I'll decide later, depending on what all I get.

I'll also put in the price of all the materials and instruments here, for reference for future Indian fusioneers. Exchange rate: 1 USD = 75.05 Indian Rupee (INR).

My first acquisition is a BEL 60mA 100kV 50Hz x-ray transformer from an old x-ray (courtesy of my dentist dad) at $200.

Sitting pretty in my future lab🤞🏽

If this fails, I plan for an FBT with an old monitor-turned TV donated by my grandfather.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Fusor from India.

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That dental x-ray transformer (x-former) has a huge power output (6000 watts) and, of course, when operational will pose an extreme danger of x-rays from the fusor (proper shielding will be critically important). Cabling, ballasting, and a power supply controller for the x-former will be a challenge. As for the TV supply, should be ok for a demo-fusor but could be a challenge to exact from the TV circuit board.

Building a proto-fusor using the TV power supply would be a good learning experience and a great deal safer than that 100 kV, 60 ma x-former. Getting experience using high voltage system without an extreme radiation hazard or the issues of handling such extreme voltages would also be a good idea.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That 60 ma is a peak rating. While old school (non- switching) I would image 30 ma continuous of the average multi-minute fusor run would be the normal maximum expectation. Assuming variac control, as so many of these older systems were, I would imagine 9-20 ma would be a normal fusor current if a successful build could reach 30kvto 40kv. Nice transformer. Make sure it is negative hot, of course or you must flip the diodes around.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:48 pm That dental x-ray transformer (x-former) has a huge power output (6000 watts) and, of course, when operational will pose an extreme danger of x-rays from the fusor (proper shielding will be critically important). Cabling, ballasting, and a power supply controller for the x-former will be a challenge. As for the TV supply, should be ok for a demo-fusor but could be a challenge to exact from the TV circuit board.

Building a proto-fusor using the TV power supply would be a good learning experience and a great deal safer than that 100 kV, 60 ma x-former. Getting experience using high voltage system without an extreme radiation hazard or the issues of handling such extreme voltages would also be a good idea.
Thank you! I am planning to do proper shielding and will incorporate all safety in the setup.
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Richard Hull wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:03 pm That 60 ma is a peak rating. While old school (non- switching) I would image 30 ma continuous of the average multi-minute fusor run would be the normal maximum expectation. Assuming variac control, as so many of these older systems were, I would imagine 9-20 ma would be a normal fusor current if a successful build could reach 30kvto 40kv. Nice transformer. Make sure it is negative hot, of course or you must flip the diodes around.

Richard Hull
Thank you! I'll do that.
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Hello All!

Continuing the post with the materials I have collected. Due to the pandemic, it has been slow.

Got a nice refurbished Leybold tryvac D10E for $240.
Leybold tryvac D10E (1).jpg
Leybold tryvac D10E (2).jpg
Variac for $107
Variac.jpg
Wire-wound resistors for $26 total
Wire-wound resistor.jpg
Electrical grounding (my design, made from copper plate and strips), for $133
20220201_175033.jpg
20220201_175021.jpg
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

My chamber should be ready in a few days (hopefully). But I'm not getting the electrical feedthrough here. I have identified feedthroughs available online in the US.

SST (Solid Sealing Technology) $220 - https://www.solidsealing.com/products/1 ... in-a-KF40/

MPF $222 - https://mpfpi.com/shop/power-feedthroug ... 0235-6-qf/

My dad is travelling to New York next month. He said he'll try to get this. I'm also putting in the "Items Wanted" topics so that if anyone has it, I can buy it.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That is a very good feed through insulator. I am glad to see you are still working towards your fusor project.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Udayshankar R wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:05 pm Hello everyone,

I'm starting my journey in fusor construction. I have been going through this forum for the past year, and now I have some confidence of where to start. I hope this is the correct thread to post this. I have not yet decided if I should build a proto-fusor or a demo fusor. For now I'm just collecting the instruments/materials and I'll decide later, depending on what all I get.

I'll also put in the price of all the materials and instruments here, for reference for future Indian fusioneers. Exchange rate: 1 USD = 75.05 Indian Rupee (INR).

My first acquisition is a BEL 60mA 100kV 50Hz x-ray transformer from an old x-ray (courtesy of my dentist dad) at $200.
20211105_142416.jpg
20211105_142338.jpg
20211105_142438.jpg
Sitting pretty in my future lab🤞🏽

If this fails, I plan for an FBT with an old monitor-turned TV donated by my grandfather.
20211105_142454.jpg
Reposting the pictures

BEL 60mA 100kV 50Hz x-ray transformer:
20211105_142438.jpg
20211105_142416.jpg
20211105_142338.jpg
FBT with an old monitor-turned TV:
20211105_142454.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Good progress. Relative to the transformer, I assume the high voltage access is behind one of those removable metal plates?
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:22 pm Good progress. Relative to the transformer, I assume the high voltage access is behind one of those removable metal plates?
Yes, that's what I was told. This is from a working X-Ray machine that was decommissioned when they bought a new one. I haven't opened this as I wanted to collect all the materials first, then work on it. Also, the oil might make it messy.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

No need to block quote; its a waste of system resources.

You might want to look into the high voltage (HV) connections to determine both what they supply and how you will access them/it with a cable.

At some point, determining the input voltage and the required varaic needed would be a good idea.
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

What's your plan for neutron detection?
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome and good luck!

The pictures indicate that oil-tanked "XRT" is a whole x-ray generator, including Coolidge tube.
First hint is trunnion-like projection on the side, suggesting that unit can easily be tilted.
The case has no penetration for high voltage, it has a window for x-ray beam with 1.4-mm-thick aluminum filter.

I guess the tank is absolutely full of oil, with no air inside. Round convex cap protects a rubber diaphragm or bladder that allows for thermal expansion without large change in pressure.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Thank you Mr. Brown for the correction. I plan to do that after I get all the materials.

Mr. Gayo, I have read about BF3 and bubble neutron detectors. I plan to get one of these depending on availability here. Once I have some experience running a demo fusor, I plan to get a mass-flow meter, deuterium lines and the detectors for the "giant leap".

Thank you Mr. Feldman. Once I get all the materials I am planning on opening it up to get to the leads and also maybe transfer it to a larger container to fit the wire-wound resistors int the oil. I am also aware that I should be careful about removing any bubbles to prevent arcing.

I also got 1.5mm Tantalum wire, 1m @ $26.7 for the grid
Tentalum_Wire.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have used both Tantalum and Hafnium as grid materials in the past. They are quite suitable and did well. Once I got hold of flexible Tungsten wire I figured why not go with the highest melting point wire. I have used Tungsten since 2007. All three of these work harden and suffer hydrogen embrittlement to a great degree once run for many hours in a fusor. This is not bad at all as long as you handle your grid gently in removing it for repairs of rework within the system.

Richard Hull
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I like your plan - it is well thought out. Good luck and keep posting on your progress and results.
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

Now I have few more components ready.

Finally, the chamber is ready. SS304L with a viewport, 4 KF25 ports and one KF40 port for the feedthrough. Total cost: $426
20220425_185700.jpg
The bellows hose, flanges and wing nuts. About: $80
20220330_195614.jpg
The J-B Weld and Loctite from Amazon, which my dad bought from the US for $19
You can also see the resistors for the voltage divider, from Mouser.com
MOX-4N-131006FE 5W 40KV NI 100MEG @ $26
MOX-4N-131007JE 5W 40KV NI 1G $28
20220425_184544.jpg
Got the feedthrough from Ebay for $210, as advised in the forum here. I also got a free MKS 901p from Ms. Amanda Ison. So a special thanks to her.
20220425_184320.jpg
I'm trying to figure out how to use the pressure transducer and will post the results soon.
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

That’s an easy to use pressure transducer. All you need is power and two wires connected to a volt meter (I prefer digital). It’ll go down to 0.01 microns which is plenty low enough…

-Matt
Udayshankar R

Post by Udayshankar R »

I've been trying to figure this out these few days. As per advice of Mr. Finn Hammer, I tried communicating with RS232 and MAX3232 adapter. I also tried the PL2303 adapter but the communication is not happening.
Digital not working.jpg
The analog output is working though, but the multimeter is not very accurate.
Analog out.jpg
I did try arduino with a voltage divider, with code from Mr. Pablo Llaguno (thank you), and I am getting 8.87V.
The variation is probably due to my shabby connections. I'll fix that later.
Code.png
This is the code in working with the LCD.
Normal.jpg
Pressure during suck-test.
Suck test.jpg
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

The mks901p can use rs232 levels without an adapter.
Make sure the baud rate on the computer matches the gauge.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
vivekanandan c

Post by vivekanandan c »

hi udayshankar , r u from india im from india too, have u completed ur fusor is it working

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”