Let’s say I have high voltage and a vacuum of 25 microns…

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Tristan_ruel

Let’s say I have high voltage and a vacuum of 25 microns…

Post by Tristan_ruel »

Hello,

I'm looking into making a fully functional fusor, however, I don't have the means to get a deep vacuum, not past 25 microns. Would I be able to create neutrons, provided I input deuterium gas, while only having a vacuum of 25 microns yet having 500kv of power (instead of 20-30 kv). Would this extra voltage be able to compensate for not having an ideal vacuum?

Thanks in advance,
Tristan
Liam David

Re: Let’s say I have high voltage and a vacuum of 25 microns…

Post by Liam David »

You will not be able to put 500kV in a fusor, not to mention that if you somehow did, the resulting x-ray radiation would be ludicrously dangerous. There are myriad other issues.... engineering a capable feedthrough, field control, safety, not to mention that obtaining a high vacuum is much easier than obtaining 500kV. I don't know what your background is, but it seems like you don't quite understand how a fusor works, and the complex interplay of factors that determine relations between voltage, current, pressure, fusion rate, etc... I suggest doing a lot more reading, starting with the FAQs. This is not supposed to be discouraging--quite to the contrary. Many people have shown up with atypical or fantastical ideas, only to be humbled by experience and perhaps go on to achieve fusion, or disappear altogether.

Also, please write an introductory post and put these kinds of questions in the "New User Chat Area".
Richard Hull

Re: Let’s say I have high voltage and a vacuum of 25 microns…

Post by Richard Hull »

Tristan, You have a lot to learn. Start by reading the FAQs.

Will a continuously pumped pure 25 microns of D2 be capable of doing fusion? Yes, but you will never do it. Figure out the reasons why you will never do it by reading the FAQs. As usual, this is an exercise that is left to the would-be student of fusion, looking to do fusion in a fusor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “New User Chat Area”