My First demo Fusor finally works!

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Josh Miller

My First demo Fusor finally works!

Post by Josh Miller »

I know that compared to some of the amazing builds I've seen here that mine is child's play. But the feeling I got the first time I hit star mode was amazing, and I just wanted to share. Still needs a few minor tweaks, but I'm really glad I decided to do this project, and wanted to say thank you to everyone in the forum that takes the time to help out noobs like me. 😁
Attachments
20210713_225245.jpg
20210713_225225.jpg
20210713_221951.jpg
20210713_221601.jpg
Joe Gayo

Re: My First demo Fusor finally works!

Post by Joe Gayo »

Nice work. Do you have voltage and current readings?
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Looks great! A perfect example of the “bugle jet” formation. As you get deeper in vacuum the classic star with defined radials will begin to form. Be careful when you get to that point as intense electron beams begin to form which can quickly crack your glass chamber. If you move quickly they can be steered away with a strong magnet.

Mark Rowley.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great images! that view is about where I was in fusor I in Nov 1997. Star mode and instrumentation would have to wait until fusor II in 1998. Star mode or single beam hitting the glass is a recipe for disaster in a common glass chamber. Watch out for local glass heating due to bombardment. Your last image shows that your vacuum is getting much better.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Josh Miller

Post by Josh Miller »

Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I have identified the main source of the small leak, so I'm working on that now. My vacuum pump isn't the greatest, but I know it can get to ~35 micron, whereas my chamber was only about 75 at the time these photos were taken.

No instrumentation as of yet, but that will definitely be part of the next iteration. I would absolutely love to build a functional fusor at some point, but one step at a time I suppose. 😁

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”