Operational Fusor Audit

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Scott Moroch

Re: Operational Fusor Audit

Post by Scott Moroch »

I can confirm that Tim has an active, functioning fusor. I can also attest that all of Tim's amateur projects (including his fusor) are built using 100% surplus equipment that he acquired through friends, hamfests, personal funds, etc. I am sure he could tell you a story about each flange that went into his large fusor.

-Scott
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'm OK with the number 10. Anyone else care to throw in on this??

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

The term "amateur" will never apply to Tim Koeth. I am still in favor of counting his fusor. Based on where I know his fusor is and what I know about how it was built, I believe that it exists in the true spirit of this open source forum.

Jim K
Tim Koeth

Post by Tim Koeth »

Hi All,

Sorry about being quiet, I have been busy! Coincidentally I did fire up the big fusor this weekend.

Thanks all for the nice compliments! At heart and at home I am still an amateur!

It was in fact my being a serious amateur that paved the way to becoming a professional. Way back in the last century, I sat through a dead silent, ten minute, nerve racking period during my interview, while the Director of the Fermilab PhD Program for Particle Accelerators intensely read my self-initiated paper about my working cyclotron, which I had built in my parents basement. When completed, he sat up, leaned over and said "well, I see no reason why you won't be admitted to this program..."

I see this happening to many of the once young members of the this forum, who are now growing up and becoming leaders in their fields!

Please remember the true definition of an amateur: a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis. That is all of us!!! I am super fortunate have been able to make my amateur passion my career also, that is not lost on me.

As far as "Tim's big fusor" goes, it really was built by a set of friends, Scott, Jay, Jimbo, and helped commissioned by Mike and Jim Kovalchick and others, so it is all of ours. It was constructed 100% surplus parts from around the US. From the far reaches of Surplus City in NM, from Dayton Hamvention, from eBay (lots of eBay), and from a large industrial sale.

This fusor is totally worthy of being considered for the catalog of amateur fusors, but it should not solely be credited to me, but include all our friends listed above - I am happy to be the lead representative of it. :)

I promise I will try to be more active here, and of course looking forward to seeing everyone in October!!!

By the way, I think most here know, but I reiterate that to chronicle our groups activities, we've created a website to share our projects:

nuclearphysicslab.com

and the professional activities of myself and my research group are at

koethgroup.umd.edu

My lab is always looking for talented people - they are what make the group!

Enjoy!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Tim will be giving an evening talk at HEAS 32 -2021....He usually speaks at each HEAS, when present. He teased that it would be amazing. We have 5 speakers down now. This event already has about 50 folks signed up and the flea market is to be bigger as well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Based on recent discussions in the admin forum...........

The listing..... (10) living, operable fusion system owners as of 7 July 2021

Mark Rowley
Liam David
Richard Hull
Andrew Seltzman
Joe Gayo
Jon Rosenstiel
Jim Kovalchick
Bob Reite (with his own, and now also Doug Coulter's fusor)
Finn Hammer
Tim Koeth

Richard Hull
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Perhaps a little premature to call Doug's old fusor operable? I know Bob is working on it, but I haven't seen that it's working yet besides getting vacuum.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Correct. Not operational yet. Plus my original fusor is crippled right now with a bad insulator. My focus is getting Doug's up and running again. I have the fiber optic link working. I can see the grid cam and the other two IP cams I installed to look at things. I can control the gas in/out valves over the fiber link now. Just "punched down" the 12 pair 24 ga control cable, which is for emergency shutdown and analog control. I'm taking a break as it is 90 with high humidity in the fusor shed. I hope to have it making neutrons again by next weekend, I'll report that progress on the other thread and update here once I activate something.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bob, you have two full fusor systems, intrinsically assembled, you are a regular poster and are in the neutron club. They both count! However, your own personal fusor is the one that gets you on the list. Mark was wise to include you. I more or less did a copy off his list and added two names above.

Richard Hull
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

A New Domain!

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

As I have ruminated elsewhere, I don't think it really matters who can fire up their fusor and activate a silver plate in an hour.

I also recognize that having that ability reflects a level of seriousness that should not be ignored.

in recognition of that achievement, you guys now have your own domain:

http://onehourfusion.com

Y'all have fun with that.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Ed Meserve

Post by Ed Meserve »

Paul,
I am beside myself with joy; a, an honest-to-goodness "laugh out loud" moment!

As someone who regularly lurks, but posts infrequently, I was a little dis-heartened by some of the recent tense exchanges. The ability to laugh at oneself and poke a little fun is something the world in general needs more of.

I tip my fedora to you, sir!

Thank-you!

Ed
Ed Meserve

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”