New Fusor Frame and 3D Modelling

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Quaid Hawkins

New Fusor Frame and 3D Modelling

Post by Quaid Hawkins »

The winter term has been done for a bit now and I've been able to get my system to a nice place. A few months back the frame I was using (made of 2x4s and deck screws) fell apart as I was moving it under all the weight of the system. I knew it was the time to upgrade the frame, before the need was only aesthetic. Before dumping a hunk of cash into aluminum extrusion, fasteners, and a cart I needed a plan. So I took the time to learn Fusion360. Something I should have learned earlier as it would have saved me many heartaches. But those heartaches were all learning experiences and would not allow me to design the system properly. So it goes.

The frame is standard aluminum extrusion, the cart is an IKEA bror utility cart. I was pleasantly suprised with the resources for 3D modelling of high vacuum parts online, lots of .step files on idealvac.com.

I've attached pictures. While the current setup is not exactly like the model (I still have some work to do on it), I wanted to get everything running to test as I put it together'

Quaid

The vacuum system model:
ChamberConstruction.PNG
Full system construction model:
FullSystem.PNG
Physical Realization:
System.jpg
Old System (Note where the wheels were supposed to be)
OldSystem.jpg
"Get to the reactor!"
Liam David

Re: New Fusor Frame and 3D Modelling

Post by Liam David »

Looking good! I model almost everything in Fusion 360 before reconfiguring or manufacturing parts. As you've discovered it's super helpful. (Kurt. J. Lesker has lots of CAD models too, as long as you make an account).

You might want to add a right angle between the chamber and gauge. It seems to be in direct line-of-sight of the plasma which can kill it, depending.

Since you seem to be looking for a right-angle valve CAD model:
Conflat Valve.zip
(43.99 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”