Earthtech - Scott Little Mar 1999 second amateur fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Earthtech - Scott Little Mar 1999 second amateur fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Many here have heard me mention and list the second fusor as being built by Scott Little at EarthTech in his spare time. (see fusioneer neutron club listing).... Here is his ancient report issue on the site in mid March 1999 about 30 days after I recorded official fusion in fusor III in early February 1999. Scott used a lot of work materials laying around at hand to reach 10e4 TIER! His notes on his work is worth noting. His ballast was a real coup.....He used a 30ma secondary from a 15kv neon sign xfrmr! It has an ohmic resistance of ~35K ohms and a stated pulse absorbing inductance of 160 Henries!!!! The problem, the grounded center tap makes the metal case of the transformer deadly lethal1 Note* he has it up on a shelf, rather out of reach, sitting wisely on a thick chunk of polyethylene. Great idea if you don't let inquisitive hands near the neon transformer. At the time, I got Scott interested in the Bicron BC-720 neutron scintillator and both he and I used it in our respective fusion efforts.

Scott also shows proton recoils in his cloud chamber. All of Scott's fusion work was completed in March 1999 and broken down in May of 1999 never to run again! Scott, much like Doc Bussard's lab rat, Tom Ligon, was Hal Putoff's engineer/technician at EarthTech in Texas back then. EarthTech was a well funded working lab and think tank doing research in testing new energy devices. (none of which proved valid at the time).

Scott and I commiserated during that period as we were both working with physicists on interesting concepts. Alas, I have not heard from him in 20 years He was an excellent and driven engineer of many talents. check out his fusor report....

https://earthtech.org/farnsworth-fusor/

Richard Hull
Attachments
Scott Little.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Cai Arcos

Re: Earthtech - Scott Little Mar 1999 second amateur fusor

Post by Cai Arcos »

I couldn't avoid chuckling at the "Power Balance" part
Richard Hull

Re: Earthtech - Scott Little Mar 1999 second amateur fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, that is what all fusors do in the way of excess energy over input energy. Scott couldn't resist that coefficient of performance statement as everything they were testing at the time involving new energy would not even do that good. He was just glad to see any over unity signature, even if it was microscopic. No working fusor is a complete net loss device assuming you can capture 100% of the waste heat from the input there is always that .00000001 extra bit of fusion energy there. In actuality, of course, no one has ever attempted to capture 100% of the waste heat or the nuclear energy produced. As such, and as operated, all fusors are net energy dumps, energy sinks or, in short, do their level best to contribute to the entropic heat death of the universe.

This is exactly like the megawatt hours of energy consumed by every single fusion reactor ever made by the hand of man! (Remember....Not one joule of any waste heat or fusion energy has ever been used to the benefit of mankind. 1952-2021...nearly 70 years of net lost energy) The fusors just cost a couple of thousand dollars and typically waste under $10.00 worth of electrical energy over their useful life times, on average.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”