125kV Fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Joe Gayo

Re: 125kV Fusor

Post by Joe Gayo »

28bub/mrem =)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

42/28 = 1.5 mrem absorbed dose at 3 feet.....X 60 minutes = 90mrem/hr rate of fast-neutron radiation at 3 feet. (NASTY!)
At 1.5 feet 360mrem/hr and at 9-inches 1.44 rem/hour!!!! To hot to be around! Assumes point source and flawless isotropic emission.
Key factor assumes I did the math right in my head.
I dare not guess at the x-radiation.........
Git yerself sum shieldin', boy! Assumes you have none of significance related to fast-neutrons now.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I calculate that he is doing 7.35E+07 N/S isotropic! WOW! That breaks Jon Rosenstiel's record of 1.2E+07 n/s. But not too surprising if he is running 100 KV.

I'd advise going to remote control operation. Inverse square law is your friend. Not only because of the dangers from X-rays and neutrons, but at 100 KV, high voltage gets "strange". It will not follow the shortest path in air from the HV source to ground, the air ionizes unevenly. Other experimenters have reported any arcing taking the "long way around" to a grounded object.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, so many folks do not know about insidious leakage surface currents, Trichel pulses, unseen corona and heated air ionizing at gradient points can cause unexpected havoc. While these unusual phenomena are not often seen in the 30 kv range, at very high voltages in air such arcing and flashover are very common.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _formation

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”