Fusor V - yet another whack at it.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Fusor V - yet another whack at it.

Post by Richard Hull »

I would think these tiny cubes are a bit different. They are so jammed up and tight, glass smoothness is a must to keep arc-over from presenting a danger. This is why I left the 2.75 conflat cross within 1 month internal arcing to the sharp joints so close to the grid. Fine at 20kv but no good at 40kv. 6-inch crosses can go on up there in voltage with sharp edges at the arms without arcing. The cubes in-effect have no arms but still need the glass like smoothness all throughout the chamber. This is why I note they are really just a small near-sphere. True spheres need no polish whatsoever, but are still a form of multi-beam on target system. I might imagine dividing the net current and thus neutron production at the beam points among them. With the true cubes, all the current and beaming is divided by 2 instead of 4 as in a 3 looped grid sphere.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

For reference...

The arms of a 2.75 conflat cross have a bore of 1.375-inches.
My cube's bore is 1.875-inches, 1/2-inch larger than that of the 2.75 CF.
The arms of a 4.5 CF cross have a bore of 2.37-inches, 1/2-inch larger than that of my cube.

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The higher pressures at voltage also benefits the fusor fusion numbers, regardless of type or design.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”