Heavy Water Usage (D2O)

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Mark Rowley

Heavy Water Usage (D2O)

Post by Mark Rowley »

After 18 months of Fusor, linear pinch, and various activation experiments I’ve used about 35 grams. As of this posting UN charges $90 for 100 grams so my monthly expenditure is mere pocket change. Can’t complain one iota.

Decided to add one more 100 gram container to the reserve. Based on my slow rate of usage (PEM cell) it’s doubtful I’ll be cracking this one open anytime soon.

Mark Rowley

8C1280CD-A4CE-4F88-BB0E-76BB2CF245C5.jpeg
Rich Feldman

Re: Heavy Water Usage (D2O)

Post by Rich Feldman »

Very good.
Do they put it up in 90 ml bottles, or in standard 100 ml bottles with more ullage?

How careful are you all about handling D2O as a hygroscopic substance? I would guess that if the bottle sat for 10 minutes with cap off, the amount of normal H2O picked up is unlikely to exceed the amount of D2O lost to evaporation. Depending of course on ambient humidity.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I'm quite religious about capping the bottle right after withdrawing the amount needed to hydrate my PEM cell. I also plug all the ports on the PEM cell when not using it.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

In the 18 months I've had the bottle, uncapped time probably totals to just a couple minutes. Drawing a couple drops into a syringe for the PEM cell takes seconds and then the bottle is closed up.

I haven't measured the container but 100 grams only fills it to about 75%.

Bob brings up an excellent point.... cap the PEM cell ports when not in use. Many folks who bought the Horizon PEM cells for the toy cars have complained the cells go bad when not kept air tight. I've made it a habit to disconnect and install the port caps on the cell prior to initiating a fusor run.

Mark Rowley
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

This is a great conversation because it isn't necessarily intuitive to all that D2O could get contaminated simply by over exposure to humidity in the air. For example, I didn't think about that when I scored this 100 ml bottle for a great price on eBay recently. Fortunately for me it was sealed and unopened.
Attachments
20201021_052724.jpg

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”