Earth-tech fusor from 1999

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Earth-tech fusor from 1999

Post by Richard Hull »

I attach the way-back URL of the second fusor in history assembled one month after my first fusor operation. Scott Little did the work on his own while at work using some of their gear. A great report that I only now discovered after all these years. You will see he also used a cloud chamber to view proton recoils. Cool stuff back then. Enjoy this early critique of his own efforts...

https://earthtech.org/farnsworth-fusor/

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dan Knapp

Re: Earth-tech fusor from 1999

Post by Dan Knapp »

This is a very interesting description of this early fusor. Something I’ve not seen before was his use of the secondary of a neon transformer as a high voltage inductive filter.
Richard Hull

Re: Earth-tech fusor from 1999

Post by Richard Hull »

Absolutely just an inductive ballast with huge wire resistance included. Of course, the case of the transformer is lethal! Scott worked more of less right along side of me to do fusion. We were friends through the Cold fusion era as he was EarthTech's testing engineer/physicist/technician. A true doer, extraordinaire. I have lost touch with him after 2001. I had no idea that he had created this compiled report. I can't remember if he was ever on Songs.com/Farnsworth chronicles/ fusor site. This was early 99 and the perfesser opened his songs fusor discussion in Dec 98. So, all this fusor internet discussion was new back then.

I lone wolfed fusor after "first contact" with Tom Ligon in 1996. I infected Scott Little in 1997, but he was busy working calorimeters and computer linking the CF experiments to the intense work there. In 1998 Scott and I kept in close contact about the fusor. I worked all alone at a snails pace, reading, and building all the time 96-98 to push my December 98 fusor III to fusion in January of 99. Scott had 100% of the material needed to do the work on hand, slapped his system together at work in his spare moments and did fusion in under 2 months following me crossing the finish line.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”