suitable power supply?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Gene Choi

suitable power supply?

Post by Gene Choi »

hi all,
fledgling fusor enthusiast here. i fell in love with the idea of building a fusor in high school a few years ago but it fell to the wayside because of academic priorities.
now that i'm in college i have a little more freedom to pursue it further.

my question- would a 10kv neon sign power supply off amazon plus a voltage multiplier be sufficient to power a fusor requiring 70kv?

i have a lot more research to do in terms of sourcing equipment, steel parts etc etc but i figured that would be a good start.
Dennis P Brown

Re: suitable power supply?

Post by Dennis P Brown »

First, and second: you need to do the first part of your post in the "Intro" forum as per the rules. Next, fix your name so it appears properly in your posts - we use full names both for the real (as you did) and for post by (which you didn't.)

In the FAQ's on High Voltage, this question is answered. I'll add a point to note: a NST isn't really a high voltage power supply - read up on them in the FAQ and the reason will be clear..
Richard Hull

Re: suitable power supply?

Post by Richard Hull »

There is no 10kv neon sign transformers. There are 10kv oil burner transformers, though these are no longer in general use. There are 10kv neon power supplies which are absolutely valueless as they are current limited, non-adjustable,electronic switcher supplies. You have to really hunt to find a true HV mains transformer. The entire world has raced to and is currently flooded with rather worthless HV electronic switcher supplies that are power and current limited and are totally non-adjustable which the fusor demands. A few here have managed to find, and bring to task, a Chinese, adjustable, high power, high voltage switcher system on the internet.

The original suggestion regarding reading the FAQs was sage. All the info is there.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”