Poisoned Loading

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Mark Rowley

Poisoned Loading

Post by Mark Rowley »

I may have just learned a lesson the hard way.

I over the past week or I have been getting excellent neutron numbers as the deuterium has loaded onto the inner walls of the chamber.

Over the past several days I have been addressing the chamber heating issue by repurposing a small window type AC unit. During the modification, I ran the fusor multiple times with regular air to test the cooling properties of the AC unit. On one occasion I intentionally ran it on air for up to 30 minutes to really push the temp up as high as possible. Anyway, the cooling mod seems to work well but when I fired the system up with D2 my numbers were way down. Obviously the plan is to run it a bunch more over the next few days to reload the walls and see if things improve.

If not, then maybe there’s another issue. Can a fusor chamber be too cold during high output runs?

Mark Rowley
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Poisoned Loading

Post by Frank Sanns »

Air kills it. Even opening a chamber up for a minute will take a full week of running to get back near full neutron output.

The question remains though, is it loading or is it degassing? A deuterium loaded target does not
lose deuterium so easily so that points in great part to non fusible gas contamination.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Re: Poisoned Loading

Post by Richard Hull »

Probably non-fusible gas leaving the walls, moisture etc. I left my fusor alone for 3 days and it took a full 2 days to get the numbers back up. (leaks) doing fine now.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”