Latest Fusion Run / BTI Bubble Results

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Mark Rowley

Latest Fusion Run / BTI Bubble Results

Post by Mark Rowley »

Took delivery on the bubble neutron detector today. They are of the 22 bubs per mRem version.

I conducted two 3 ninute runs at approx 2mA/33kV.

Detector distance from center of grid: ~18cm

1) 14 bubbles / 29mTorr deuterium
2) 10 bubbles / 30-37mTorr deuterium (voltage fluctuation)

The second run suffered some unexpected deuterium pressure issues. I still need to add another needle valve before the ss-ss4.

This test also roughly confirmed the accuracy of my CHM11 detector tube. I’ll be focusing on its calibration over the next few days.

Mark Rowley
Attachments
9EBCA229-A053-4F54-ADD1-BDFC068C8B25.jpeg
9936160E-F5C9-4774-A771-C76A6F8F8EFA.png
Richard Hull

Re: Latest Fusion Run / BTI Bubble Results

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice work! This is a real opportunity, as you recognize. Calibration of working electronic neutron detection gear is a must for any future efforts, long after the BTI is dead. The key is to never move the detection tube and its moderator, if possible, from this point on and make no changes in voltage to the detector or any windowing of the signal to retain calibration at least to the level of the original BTI results. I did about 30 10 minute runs over 3 weeks and reduced the results to obtain a simple constant multiplier factor against a chosen 1 minute future electronic run to multiply the digital rate meter timed result to get my isotropic emission. rate/sec.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

We are fairly certain that our fusors are isotropic sources. Therefore if it does become necessary to move the detector, one can use the inverse square law to calculate what to expect at the new distance. But it is important not to change the voltage to the detector or any other calibration involving the electronics associated with the BF or He3 tube. The moderator for the detector also needs to remain the same.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thursday’s run was better. Increased gas flow a few percent but kept pressure essentially the same (28-29mTorr). 2.2mA/33kV / 18cm distance.

24 bubbles in 3 minutes

Mark Rowley.
Attachments
0D2B5366-87B1-470C-B7FA-31650C22AF40.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I think we posted way back that allowing a bit more gas flow helped the numbers a good deal. The sad part is for the increased pressure, you are blowing through the D2 at an increased rate, but in a smaller volume than the classic sphere. It might just equal out in the end. The lower current is what amazes me. I am glad you are learning the "operational ropes". I have always said this is the key to getting better numbers.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”