My fusor progress

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
ouya woelders

My fusor progress

Post by ouya woelders »

Im working on a fusor and already got quite some parts see pictures below.

but still need to get some parts like the high voltage pass trough, i found one in China with a copper M6 rated for 50KV. now i wonder if i can use a M6 nut on this and drill 1mm holes in the nut and fix my tungsten wire grid in this holes. so that i get 3 rounds of wire and maybe add 1 more inside this 3 rings in the other direction

I have tested my vacuum pumps and vacuum gauge and reached 1.8E-4Pa quite fast and it was still dropping
move about my test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGv8YzZLWo&t=26s

hope some one can give me some feedback on the fixing of the tungsten wire
Attachments
vacuum gauge
vacuum gauge
ulvac scroll vacuum pump
ulvac scroll vacuum pump
turbotronik nt 20 pump controller
turbotronik nt 20 pump controller
turbovac 361
turbovac 361
5kv-60kv power supply inside
5kv-60kv power supply inside
grid wire 1mm tungsten
grid wire 1mm tungsten
Richard Hull

Re: My fusor progress

Post by Richard Hull »

An obvious father-son project.
I was a little apprehensive about the unmounted turbo.... praying he didn't bump it while running.
Handling those gaskets and seals with the bare hands could have cost him some vacuum depth............
Good stuff in the system to be sure. Wish I had it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ouya woelders

Post by ouya woelders »

I am building the fuser by myself and my parents buy parts for me if I earned enough points by doing good job on homework or school.
I want to make my fusor like this:
Attachments
1338466176.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This looks OK, but you need to have a very fine valve on the deuterium gas flow. I hope your gate valve on the fusor chamber will allow for fine control and is not a snap open/snap close type. Ultimately, you will need very fine and delicate control over the flowing deuterium into the chamber and fine control of the pumping rate of the vacuum system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ouya woelders

Post by ouya woelders »

I know for the gate valve it needs very fine adjustment, and I have two options, one is a pneumatic KF80 valve with a pneumatic fine adjustable
bypass valve like in my drawing. And the second option is a KF40 small flapper valve that is manual controlled i worry this one is a bit small to get the vacuum fast very low.
Maybe I can use a 360 degree servo on the fine adjustable bypass valve to remote control the flow if the fusor is running.
Wat do you think will be a better valve then I can ask my father to take it next time from china if I have enough points
for the deuterium I want to use a needle valve like the picture below
Attachments
valve 3.jpg
valve 3.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
valve 2.jpg
valve 1.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The needle valve would be the best to use in the gas line. the KF fittings allow for a huge flow rate. I use 1/8 inch copper lines. Others use hypodermic tubing in a coil of about 10 feet long rolled into a 4-inch diameter coil to restrict gas flow rate after the needle valve.

Richard Hull
ouya woelders

Post by ouya woelders »

I'd like to give a update on my fusor progress.
I got a needle valve,chamber,high voltage pass through,flapper valve,3mm stainless steal tube,view window,neutron counter and high voltage wire.
I still need to test the chamber and get some deuterium.
Attachments
Chamber
Chamber
DSC01173.JPG (80.19 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Neutron counter
Neutron counter
DSC01171.JPG (76.69 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
needle valve
needle valve
DSC01170.JPG (93.29 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
high voltage pass though
high voltage pass though
DSC01169.JPG (73.72 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
flapper valve
flapper valve
DSC01167.JPG (80.25 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
stevenvanruijssevelt

Post by stevenvanruijssevelt »

First of all nice build! It is great to see a youngster like yourself having the fusor fever. My kids are your age and have no intertest watsoever in fusion. You are verry fortunet to have acces to all of this high quality equipment, this should result in a nice fusor.

Do you now the diameter size of your nice chamber? I have the same power supply, and i can tell you it is not easy the get the voltages above 20 kv or more in a big vacuum chamber. I have a 6" chamber. People with smaller 2.75” cross Fusors have less difficulties with these because a smaller chamber requires less distance for the ions to move and therefore less amperage is needed. Remember to shield it properly, you will deal with a lot of X rays running this at full power.

what kind of neutron detection will you be using?

regards from your fellow belgian fusioneer

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”