Joe Gayo's lab tour

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Dan Knapp

Re: Joe Gayo's lab tour

Post by Dan Knapp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 am

In regard to the PIC simulation, please be advised that a 2D simulation does not give a valid representation of a system with axial symmetry.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:37 am

With the 4 X4 6061 request from Jon, coupled with his machining abilities, I imagine he has ideas. I am still musing over using my 6 way 2.75 CF cross to replaced fusor IV.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:27 am

@Dan Sure it does ... it's an axially symmetric (RZ) code/solver. I actually, know the individual that wrote Starfish (his Ph.D.) and he and I are working together on simulations.

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 am

The description on the link to the Starfish code describes it as a 2D simulation. I overlooked the mention on another page that it allows the selection of a Cartesian or axisymmetric system, which requires a more sophisticated RZ solver. I guess I was surprised that someone would be making the more sophisticated software freely available. I stand corrected. My apologies.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 pm

@Jon - Thank you for the kind words and the tour of your impressive lab!

@Everyone -
I have a -100kV @ 20mA power supply arriving in the next few weeks and will begin experimenting with different cathode/anode materials. Based on some preliminary results the Aluminum construction may be contributing to the strong results.

Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:06 am

Joe,

Your effort is really impressive and it definitely shows in the numbers. There has been a lot of talk recently that these smaller fusors are capable of outputting a higher neutron rate, for a given kW input, than larger 6-10" devices. Intuitively, I am on board with this. However, up until your efforts I have not seen extremely convincing evidence that such claims are true. I think this opens up the opportunity for a community wide effort to collect more data. In particular, I am suggesting that all members with an active fusor attempt to contribute to a community-wide data log, as was attempted here:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11331

I have compared your output rates with the other data collected so far and it is clear that they are outliers (qualitatively). I would certainty be interested in seeing your neutron output rate for 40-50 kV and 5-15 mA; as few other fusors have the ability to reach 70 kV so comparison is difficult.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

Scott
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 am

I'm still collecting data (the chamber is still improving with loading and vacuum quality), but here are some general results:

60 kV, ~1M n/sec/mA (16.2M at 15mA, Q = 2.11 e-8!), 25 mTorr

I created this video to record results at 5mA (40 - 60kV), 22mTorr. https://youtu.be/1MLFN8FKvZc
Performance @ 2.9 Pa D2.png

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am

Super video!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 am

My -100kV @ 20mA power supply arrived on Friday ...

Several Observations -

- The chamber can support 90kV (so far ... more conditioning may improve)
- I measure about 2E+6 n/sec/mA at 90kV ... multiple 3.6E+7 runs (90kV, 18mA, 19 mTorr)
- Need to reposition detectors as not to saturate (110 bub in 6 seconds, 12.7 cm)

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 am

Your most recent graph shows some "oscillation" / quantized steps, any Idea as to where this comes from?