My progress II

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: My progress II

Post by Richard Hull »

Mark is correct and you are doing this correctly. With a great demo system that you have you are gaining valuable "operational experience" and I am glad you are doing it with air. In the beginning, back in October of 1997, I spent 1 full year with fusor I and fusor II. I read books on ionized gases, vacuum systems and fusion during this time as well. When it came time to do fusion I was 100% prepared, although there was still a small learning curve as I did fusion in Feb. 1999. I had no real group to look to for help as there was no fusor.net. I was on my own. I first did fusion in Fusor III. I stayed with the lower performing fusor III for 3.5 years as I worked hard on neutron detection systems and went through 3 different detection schemes and used up my first small 25liter bottle of deuterium due to not having a secondary diffusion or turbo pump. I learned after fusor II that any real fusor system is doomed to be a large sprawl of many interconnected pieces of gear and gave up on the idea of a closed box containing a real fusor system.

Keep up the advancing effort which, thus far, is exemplary.

I attach images of all of those 3 early systems spanning 5 years before the advent of Fusor IV. Each image is labeled and explained.

Richard Hull
Attachments
About the best Fusor I could do as the beams would outgas the nalgene 50 microns <br /> of air was as deep at I could pump it.  Ran for 3 months
About the best Fusor I could do as the beams would outgas the nalgene 50 microns
of air was as deep at I could pump it. Ran for 3 months
Fusor I - Built in a nalgene dessicator late 1997-Early 1998
Fusor I - Built in a nalgene dessicator late 1997-Early 1998
First ever &quot;star in a jar&quot;  Fusor II below.  Ultimately it got dangerous due to beam heating of the glass.
First ever "star in a jar" Fusor II below. Ultimately it got dangerous due to beam heating of the glass.
Fusor II - Bell jar system much deeper vacuum 1998  Easy to hit 8 microns of air  This demo fusor ran for 10 months.  Learned a lot about real operation here.
Fusor II - Bell jar system much deeper vacuum 1998 Easy to hit 8 microns of air This demo fusor ran for 10 months. Learned a lot about real operation here.
Real fusion star taken with fusor III below.  Running D2 pressure 6 microns never got above 100,000 n/s. Ran from early 1999 until 2003.
Real fusion star taken with fusor III below. Running D2 pressure 6 microns never got above 100,000 n/s. Ran from early 1999 until 2003.
Fusor III fusion first done in Feb of 1999 top voltage was 30kv.  Got down to barely sub micron using inline foreline trap.
Fusor III fusion first done in Feb of 1999 top voltage was 30kv. Got down to barely sub micron using inline foreline trap.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”