F.I.C.S Fusion Runs

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Steven Sesselmann

Re: F.I.C.S Fusion Runs

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Joe,

Disagree if you like, but consider this...

We are setting up a unique plasma condition, offering deuterons an opportunity to fuse, where the opportunity is favourable in the axial direction by around 50 kV, then we let nature be the boss.

To me it is not at all a surprise when nature takes the easy way out, she always does.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Steven,

Found this ...

So beam fusion is anisotropic with D-D and isotropic with D-T.
The neutron angular distribution from the D-D fusion reaction cannot be described as isotropic
even in the centre-of-mass frame of reference, as is depicted in Figure 5. Increasing charged
deuteron kinetic energy results in an increased neutron intensity at 0° and 180°, and decreased
intensity at 90° and 270°. In the laboratory frame of reference, the distribution tends to shift
towards the forward emission cone, coincident with the direction of the charged particle, with
increasing accelerator potential.

This anisotropic distribution, particularly at lower energies, is believed to be the result of unique
properties of the deuterium nucleus. The deuteron has a low binding energy, 2.226 MeV, and
large distance between proton and neutron [12] [13]. This results in a relatively large
displacement between centre-of-mass and centre-of-charge. It was hypothesized that deuterons
have a strong spin-orbit coupling and undergo P-wave interaction [13], which would account for
this anisotropy. It was discovered subsequently that these last two factors are necessary
conditions in the production of polarized particles, which is observed with neutrons created from
D-D reactions [13].
https://ir.library.dc-uoit.ca/bitstream ... Leslie.pdf (p18 and 19)
Steven Sesselmann

Joe,

Well spotted, should be an interesting read.

I intend to do an experiment with a number of CR39 dosimeters placed at various positions around my reactor, this should not only close the debate on isotropic emission but also give me a better number on efficiency.

There is absolutely no reason for spherical fusors not to emit neutrons isotropically, but in the case of axial beam fusion like mine, I think it makes sense.

Steven
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Patrick Lindecker

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

Hello Steven,

>so to recover AC electric energy you need a reverse Tesla coil with a tiny spark gap at the top, that will bleed off and carry >electrons to ground via a high impedance coupled coil.
This system (a relaxation oscillator in fact) for which I give a link for others persons (https://www.nuenergy.org/radiant-energy-diatribe/) has a very low efficiecy (0.15 to 0.20 according to this paper). Perhaps it would be better to use a series of n Transils, each one working at a DC breaking voltage compatible with a power converter (DC -> AC), for which you would have an efficiency superior to 0.9 (of course n resistors would replace the n input impedances of these converters). In case of success you would have only to replace the resistances by the converters...

I read again your paper of January 2018. I saw that:
* your production of neutrons is nice (4E6/s), but unfortunatly very small in comparison to the input power (and i hope you will increase this production by several orders of magnitude),
* and that you recovered 80 % of the input power via the zener.

So it means that your system is mainly an ions source for which it is wasted only 20% of the power in heat.
It seems to me that a global efficiency of 80 % very interesting, because it means you will not have to provide, in fusion energy, x times the input power to have a positive balance of power but much less.

Patrick
Steven Sesselmann

Patrick,

Thanks for comments.

It is sometimes easy to point out the weaknesses in other peoples systems, while forgetting that those persons have worked tirelessly for years, on limited budgets and made many mistakes along the way. The path to break even fusion is not known, so we try to remain pure of thought while we fumble in the dark.
Patrick Lindecker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am This system (a relaxation oscillator in fact) for which I give a link for others persons (https://www.nuenergy.org/radiant-energy-diatribe/) has a very low efficiecy
When it comes to converting 50,000 VDC to utility AC, I don't think we have to reinvent it, as the utility companies do this regularly. I am pretty sure someone building a power station could just call the ABB rep and get it done.
Patrick Lindecker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am I read again your paper of January 2018. I saw that:
* your production of neutrons is nice (4E6/s), but unfortunately very small in comparison to the input power (and i hope you will increase this production by several orders of magnitude),
What I am working on is a proof of concept, and it isn't important how many neutrons I make at this stage, although my neutron count is getting better al the time, now easily in the 10^6 to 10^7 range. My invention has provided a way to recover a large proportion of the electrical energy otherwise lost as heat, I think that's a win.

Another spin off is the ability to generate a directional neutron beam, my current reactor emits neutrons axially, but my next reactor will be unidirectional and this has two benefits, first off a neutron beam is useful for many things, secondly if neutrons are flying out at one end, the positively charged particles fly out the other end, which means we just need a solenoid at the ground end to recover the kinetic energy of the charged particles. My guess is that we won't even bother recovering heat from the neutrons, as there will be enough electric current.
Patrick Lindecker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am So it means that your system is mainly an ions source for which it is wasted only 20% of the power in heat.
It seems to me that a global efficiency of 80 % very interesting, because it means you will not have to provide, in fusion energy, x times the input power to have a positive balance of power but much less.
No it is much more than that, it is an experiment designed to demonstrate that the cross section of ions can be manipulated by ionising the neutrals at a potential other than ground, and by doing so we can eliminate the "Coulomb charge" which I believe is just a pseudonym for velocity.

I made quite a few changes to my rig over the last 12 months, so some of what you were reading is now outdated. If I get a chance I will make another video and explain the latest work.

Steven
Patrick Lindecker

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

Thanks for the information Steven and congratulations for all your work and your perseverance. It is impressive.

Patrick
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Steven,

What is the ratio between axial and perpendicular neutrons?
Steven Sesselmann

Joe,

Let me record some data over the weekend and get back to you on that question..

Steven
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

10 months and no reply. Steven, I would also like to know exactly how you detected 10e7 neut/sec emission. What type neutron detector do you use? What D2 pressures, voltages and currents in the steady state operation? If you operate in continuous fusion mode, can we have a picture of the detector tube, and electronics used? I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

However, if you are working in the pulsed state ( via a relaxation oscillation or deliberately externally pulsed), all electronic detection bets are off without a stringent proof of how you are measuring neutrons instead of just RF impulses at time of firing. Activation would be acceptable as would BTI results. They are the real proof and for me or anyone, should be the only proof of a putt-putt boat fusion operation. A truly noiseless proof of fusion.

I have had hundreds of people in my lab over the years. Many of these people have done fusion and have seen my setup and how it functions from start-up to neutron detection. This includes any number of nuclear metrologists, physicists and engineers from my local chapter of the American Nuclear Society. Yes, they questioned me about the setup, and the detection systems. I passed muster on all technical matters.

I am, and will forever remain, a real stickler when it comes to not only proving fusion, but to how any person claims their neutron numbers via electronic methods. Shut me up with documented proof of activation or a lot of bubbles in a BTI dosimeter, for only these two methods are proof beyond any doubt, especially if I am there watching it being done....Or... Someone else I trust is there watching.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Steven Sesselmann

Hi Richard,

Long time no speak...

My fusion reactor has been in storage since last February as we are building ourselves a new house, in the mean time we are renting a house in the same street, so instead of explaining to the landlord why I have a fusion reactor in the garage, I decided to just cover it with a sheet and wait for the new house to get finished. I will have a nice 6 m x 6 m workshop and cant wait to start up again in March 2020 if all goes to plan.

My radiation detector business is keeping me quite busy and I am now getting a lot of orders from Universities around the world for my spectrometers, scintillation detectors, and yes the occasional Neutron detector.

You are right about electronic neutron detection systems, they can and do fool the inexperienced user, but anyone who has been doing fusion for a long time, in my case 15 years, knows to check for obvious problems and neutrons sound different to electronic noise, be suspicious of any regular clicks, those are likely to be from charges building up and discharging somewhere, real neutrons are irregular like a geiger counter.

I recently built a neutron detector identical to the one I was using during my last runs and send't it to ANSTO (Australian Nuclear Science Technology Organisation) for calibration, it came back more efficient than I expected, this means I have to revise my numbers down on what I initially thought. I will need to dig out my old run records from last Christmas and see how they look after I apply the new detector efficiency.

Although we all like to see lots of neutrons, it is in no ones interest to deliberately inflate the numbers, I report what I believe to be correct at the time of posting and I'm prepared to backtrack if/when I'm wrong.

Bubble detectors became expensive in the long run, for me here in the Sydney summer heat they didn't last long, so after trowing out 5-6 of those things I gave up on that idea, but neutron activation is on the list of things to do.

Hope to be back with pictures and reports in about six months..

Steven
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good luck on the new house. I hope all goes smoothly in that respect.

I look forward to any future activation work reports. I know full well of the BTI short life issues. I have had to throw out 3 over the years, but wisely used them to calibrate over the period of two years, my 3He detection system to arrive at a constant based on counts.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tom Hanley

Post by Tom Hanley »

Hi Steven, good to hear your detector business is going well and orders are increasing. Hope the house is going OK, Its nice where you are and 6x6m space will come in handy .
Over this side we had 45*Cel over the week end, but not as high as Penrith, last year, which had 49*C I believe.
Tom is back at school now and as usual school takes precedence over the fun things.
He hasn't been able to get any deep sky viewing over the Xmas break as the sky has been clouded over due to bush fire smoke.
We got one good night at the NSAS Saint Ignatius school site last week. I wanted to get out to some of the remote -dark sky- sites over the Xmas break but the bush fires put and end to that idea.
We have been scrounging fusor bits and pieces, but it's been slow, not to worry though. I will try to help him prep the Varian turbo sometime before winter.
Having nice ( new ) calibrated equipment is an advantage, but it costs.
Interesting read:- "The Uninhabitable Earth" a story of the future. David Wallace-Wells . ISBN978-0-241-35521-3, that is if you get spare time.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”