Vacuum Chamber Construction

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Vacuum Chamber Construction

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm

I tested my hemispheres using a rubber gasket on an old bell jar plate. Check the construction FAQs for my fusor II images. You have so many ports on each hemisphere it would be tough. You would have to blank of all on each hemisphere.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13053

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Welding continues steadily, I've nearly completed one hemisphere. The welds need to be cleaned and checked for leaks, and one its quite messy, I might use a dremel to smooth it out. Other than that, simply running out of Argon is what halted progress today.
signal-2020-02-16-145747.jpeg

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:44 am

The good news is argon is extremely inexpensive. You must have a small tank. Mine is full sized and I have had it now for 20 years and used very little of it. I fear that when I need a refill, they will note the tank pressure inspection is out of date and charge me an inspection fee in addition to the argon. This is a penalty often impressed upon a small use welder. Big shops never suffer this as they exchange frequently.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 am

I've nearly completed all the welding on my chamber. A single large weld remains, but having run out of time this evening it will have to wait.
image1(2).jpeg
image1(2).jpeg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:31 am

Good golly miss Molly! Did you get a sunburn doing all of this welding?
If not, you did good....

Richard Hull

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 am

Another quick update, I'm happy to report I've completed all the major welds on my chamber. They've been visually inspected and they all appear to be sound.
image1(3).jpeg
image1(3).jpeg (121.38 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
I might in the future have to break out the welding equipment if I have some trouble pumping down, but for the moment all looks well. It's very nice to reached this point, I have a bit of official looking hardware on my desk.
image2(1).jpeg
image2(1).jpeg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
I've ordered some 8020 extrusion so that I can build a frame to hold the chamber and assorted components. It should arrive sometime next week. My focus now will move to the vacuum systems of the device!

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:45 am

Now your are cookin'! You have to be proud of yourself! I know I am proud that you have proven to be a virtual unstoppable doer. "You have guts and guts is enough" ( R. Lee Ermey, Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket)

Looking for continued forward movement and the reports of further successes.

Richard Hull

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:50 am

Thanks for the encouragement Richard, it's been a long haul! I can't say enough about the community all the old timers have built here, its such a tremendous source of quality information, the only price for entry is some hard work. I've also been very much enjoying reading your postings about the history of the Farnsworth fusor effort. Fascinating stuff!

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:52 am

Nicolas
For a first effort I give you a B+
Well done

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:47 pm

I'll take that John! Much better than an F, what would I have to do to take it to an A?