Vacuum Chamber Construction

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Nicolas Krause

Re: Vacuum Chamber Construction

Post by Nicolas Krause » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 am

I've now completed machining of the ports for the vacuum chamber. Up next is an order to lds vacuum for the remaining parts I need and some practice welding.
image1.jpeg

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 am

That is a lot of holes.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:49 pm

I mentioned that before above....An awfully hole filled chamber. Lots of CF stubs and lots of blank offs unless you are shooting for ion guns aplenty. At least he won't be at a loss for hassle free "add ons", if needed, in future.

On page two Nicolas gives a full, optimistic, listing of what is planned for each port. Until they are all in place, that means blank offs during early work.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:59 am

In the excellent but extremely grognardy and complicated Kerbal Space Program mod KSP Interstellar, we see this fusion reactor, which appears to be a fusor-type reactor with ion guns.

This makes me think of it.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:35 am

While I source the final vacuum components for my chamber I figured I could work a bit on the pressure sensor. I've got a vacuum thermocouple gauge, and a spare Tiva C series board lying around. I figured I would use one to monitor the other, I've been planning on picking up Forth for awhile and this seemed like a good project to start with. Mecrisp is a publicly available version that supports my board so I'm working on getting a connection made to the board.
image1(1).jpeg

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 pm

This is an end of summer update. My purchase from LDS vacuum arrived at the end of July, and I now have the necessary hardware to complete the vacuum chamber. While I had intended to complete the welding by the end of August, getting setup for TIG welding has taken longer than anticipated (as always seems to be the case). The local makerspace does not have a TIG welder, and I've had to turn to other means. I've purchased a small TIG machine on Amazon from HitBox, and while it turns on, sourcing all the other components, such as TIG electrodes, a small bottle of Argon gas, a regulator, 220V dryer plug adapter, has been an education in and of itself. Its taken me the whole month of August to obtain all the bits, sharpen the electrodes, find a bottle supplier, get the bottle filled etc... I'm returning to school this Tuesday and will have to pack away the hardware for the summer. This means I'll likely return to work on my simulation when time allows, and hopefully at Christmas I'll be able to find some time to work on welding of the chamber. I'll be on a co-op term from January to April so ideally I'll be able to complete the chamber after work hours during the winter.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:24 am

Where are you doing your welding? Do you own a house with a garage, or do it somewhere else, or what?

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I don't own a house unfortunately, I had planned on appropriating the dryer plugin in my parent's laundry room and running an extension cable outside through a window so I didn't have to worry about the fumes/gas. The welding machine I've bought is quite small and portable so it shouldn't cause too much of an issue. If I'm welding in the winter I'll look at heading to the local makerspace with my setup as I believe they're wired for 220v and have a large ventilated bay.

Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:52 am

Just a short update, I've managed to get the mecrisp-stellaris version of forth loaded onto my board and am now monkeying around with the language in my spare time!