Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Raice Oberwiler

Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Raice Oberwiler » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

I have read a lot of conflicting posts around the site on whether a 2.75 in cross can be used as the main chamber and I wanted to know, being that I currently have a 2.75 in 6 way cross, whether or not it would contain a large enough volume to produce detectable fusion. Thanks.

Jake Wells

Re: Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Jake Wells » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:13 am

Yes. Many fusors on this forum have been built using a 4 way cross. A 6 way cross will do just fine.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
― Nikola Tesla

Richard Hull

Re: Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 am

It will be tough in such a small cross. No one has had any real fusion numbers come out of a small cross. Most folks who have attempted it in a 2.75 failed to make the grade.

There are many issues in a tiny chamber that have been enumerated in many past posts.

As for 6 way vs. 4 way.....With a 6 way you just have more opportunity for leaks that might need to be sealed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.