We are not easily fooled

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Mark Stockman

Re: We are not easily fooled

Post by Mark Stockman »

I'm interested in what you folks (the fusor community) have already accomplished. Phoenix Nuclear Labs is selling fusor-based neutron generators which they claim produce 10^12 neutrons per second with straight Deuterium and 10^14 with the D-T reaction. They're also claiming continuous operation and a lifetime measured in years, not hours. That's pretty awesome. If you can produce enough thermal neutrons cheaply and reliably enough, that makes a subcritical fission reactor practical. So fusor technology could be very useful to energy production without needing to reach break-even.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I wonder about their claims. The 10e12 n/s for D-D is doable but is a stretch. Then in the next sentence they use the claim that this FLUX exceeds any other source other than a nuclear reactor. 10e12 n/s is not a flux.

I think your sub-critical fission reactor run off of a hail of neutrons is a pipe dream. A lot of real physics bars your way.

We are not easily fooled.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I see no practical reason for a so-called subcritical reactor. The biggest safety challenges of a fission reactor, those associated with decay heat, would remain, and the practical aspects of managing a flux independent of the fission generated flux are a large hurdle. Can someone enlighten me?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I think this is one of those many still-born ideas that looks interesting to someone barely into the field, but is doomed to never advance to the useful engineering phase for a myriad of reasons based on the physics and practicality. I don't think any enlightening is needed on this one.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”