NIF did something cool!

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Isaac Boehm

NIF did something cool!

Post by Isaac Boehm »

I just found out that the NIF in California has made a major milestone in fusion research. Here is a few articles about it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nucle ... -1.2534140

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621

Is this actually as big as it seems or is it a hopeful over exaggeration?
I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say – and it is occasionally true – that I need physics more than friends. -Robert J Oppenheimer
Chris Bradley

Re: NIF did something cool!

Post by Chris Bradley »

My guess would be you've not looked into NIF background very much (or simply searched for it here).

Clearly, they are now resorting to creating 'virtual' meaningless milestones in the hope someone will think they have made progress. And I'm sure it may well achieve that purpose and some politicos will be convinced enough to pump yet more tax-payer billions into it.
Richard Hull

Re: NIF did something cool!

Post by Richard Hull »

Remember from old posts that they ran the thing and admitted there was little hope for usable fusion in a media splash. Far too much openess and honest for such an ensconced communitee.

Someone apparently realized that the money stream would end and the weaponeers would take it over. A quick rethink and redo and........ behold.......... there is fusion light at the end of the tunnel! Next.....We need more time on the machine.........We need more people and more money, too. Please don't just let us all fend for ourselves out in the cold cruel non-fusioning world......We'll do better, You'll see.

Even if 100% successful, it is and will always be, putt-putt boat fusion.

Hocum!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”