MAKE Magazine fusor project

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Isaac Boehm

MAKE Magazine fusor project

Post by Isaac Boehm »

Hi just noticed this MAKE magazine published a fusor project in their latest issue. Maybe more people will make them now. :)

Project
http://makezine.com/projects/make-36-bo ... ear-fusor/

Video
http://youtu.be/9vERIyKwWvo
I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say – and it is occasionally true – that I need physics more than friends. -Robert J Oppenheimer
Richard Hull

Re: MAKE Magazine fusor project

Post by Richard Hull »

I couldn't resist. I posted a comment that the intro stating limited fusion in the device was wrong and let folks know about fusor.net.

Lotsa' DIY's there have a lot of wrong ideas about the device and the usual questions about break even and wondering if they could extract power from the device. Wow!

Ricahrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett »

Did you type that with a Virginia twang, Maker of the day, Richard Hull?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That article was almost 6 years ago when Make was a relatively new mag! Frank Sanns got really upset that they used his image of his glowing fusor without attribution. That was not a how-to article back then. The usual hype was included, of course. Gotta' pump th' readers, ya' know.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Looks like Maker Faire is history, and MAKE Magazine is circling the drain.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/07/make- ... a-layoffs/
3Fsm6A2O.png
Other sad news, depending on one's perspective, that has come my way recently:
* the end of MAD magazine
* the end of Barron Park Supply

"Barron Park Supply was founded in 1963 by William Gabbard in the Barron Park section of Palo Alto on El Camino Real. Originally, Barron Park only designed sprinkler systems and supplied parts for them to homeowners. In 1968, the business moved to 377 San Antonio Road in Mountain View where it would remain for 44 years."
Then about 7 years on El Camino near Calderon, while San Antonio site turned into six story office and apartment buildings. How can anyone expect to find an odd old plumbing part at HD, or Lowes (curse them for closing down OSH), or mom and pop Ace and True Value stores?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

While I have never subscribed to Make magazine, my barber shop seems to always have a copy about to thumb through. A friend I have will sometimes bring his discarded back issues for me to read and then toss out.

I can understand it circling the drain. I found it rather effete and aimed at the green edged millennials. Camp projects for camp people. I will note that they make a great effort, but often fall short of the mark. The projects are often simple and in the fusor case, down right misleading in the title and absolutely false when, early on, they note that the device will not produce significant fusion products! Actuality, we all know it will produce 0.0000000 fusion products! The project presented what is not even a really nice pass at being a good, usable, learning, demo fusor.

I retain but one issue given to me from 2016 where they do a bang-up good job on the current spate of micro-controllers. This is the best of all efforts I have found in any publication on the subject.

Richard Hull
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Hi Richard, I am a new member to Fusor.net, and posted my introduction in which I indicated that I am a high school STEM teacher and starting a High Energy Physics club. The students are interested in high energy physics and we have built wine bottle CRT's and small tesla coils. We decided that we would like to make a demo fusor, and the Make Magazine model seemed relatively inexpensive (I am funding this project myself) and offered ease of construction. In addition to this post, I previously saw a post of yours in which you ranked the hierarchy of fusors, starting with very basic models, to college-level research quality. I cannot find that post now that the site format has changed, but I also would like to ask if there is a demo fusor that you would recommend given my situation of doing it as a high school STEM project. Thank you!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right." Henry Ford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

For the average high school project the make magazine demo would be quick and easy. I was totally captured and have been 22 years in this effort after seeing a very crude nalgene desiccator fusor demo by Tom Ligon, ( doctor Robert Bussard's lab rat), back in 1997. Your kids will either be spurred on or not with a demo system.

The ultimate system at the high school level resides in Washington state and has been turning out graduates becoming engineers and scientists for some time. It is the epitome of perfection in allowing students to elect to join the group and do real fusion in a masterfully assembled fusor system. (the NWNC student project) They are noted in the Neutron Club listing below. I am sure it is still an ongoing effort.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13

Richard Hull
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Hi Richard, thank you so much for the response! I had come across Carl Greninger's work while researching fusors, and was fortunate to have corresponded with him on several occasions regarding the work that he and his students are performing. My goal at this time is to get the students interested in the science behind the topic. Two of the students are quite interested in nuclear engineering and I suspect that they will want to take the project as far as we can. I also have the benefit of a School Board member who is a retired nuclear engineer, as well as an established connection with a business that operates in the radiation detection services industry. The MAKE magazine project interested me because of the low construction cost and the ease of construction. I have been researching some of the parts that we would need, and have been able to collect some of the items from donations or what we have at our school - I'm not above scrounging and begging either! We are fortunate enough to have a full wood, welding and metal shop in our school which will greatly assist our efforts.

Are there other demo projects that you would recommend in lieu of the MAKE project? I'm thinking it will be a good starting point to get some skills and understanding of fusion, but I would love to hear your thoughts. After this project, I would like to construct what you have referred to as a research demo fusor. Are there any particular research demo fusor design plans that you would recommend we review?

I am very excited to be a part of this site, and look forward to contributing to, and learning from, this community!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I would not hazard to recommend another demo project as better or worse than the make project. The key thing is to be aware of the dangerous use of glass demo chambers. They are under vacuum and can implode. Add to this that you can over drive a demo in glass and create a "hot shot" on the glass due to electron beams. This will guarantee an implosion.

The research grade fusor or anything approaching it is a metal enclosure with a small,protected viewing window that should have a cheap video camera looking inside for remote, safe, video monitor viewing.

Richard Hull
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks for the great insight Richard! If we were to build the MAKE demo fusor, the inner grid is contained within a borosilicate glass vessel of 13/32" thickness. If this is not thick enough to prevent implosion, is there a precaution we could take (other than using a stainless steel housing), such as a screen to prevent injury?

In your post, you mentioned that a research grade demo fusor would require a stainless steel housing with a small viewing area. Is a video camera and TV screen required for this, or can the viewing area be just a clear viewing area? If the latter, what should be used?
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks Richard! The MAKE demo fusor houses in inner grid in 13/32" borosilicate glass. Do you think this would be thick enough to significantly reduce the risk of implosion? If not, other than housing the inner grid in a stainless steel housing, is there anything else we can do, such as constructing a mesh shield?

When a research grade demo fusor is constructed, is it always with a video camera and TV monitor? Or can the viewing area exist without the video feed? What is the viewing area made of? Just trying to figure out if that could implode.

Thanks!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

There are posts about the view ports and their protection. A screen wire mesh will protect the glass if it is in contact with the shell on an SS fusor. A complete grounded screen wire mesh cylinder in the make version glass cylinder will help. The view will be restricted to a considerable degree, however.

View ports above 10kv will emit soft x-radiation which becomes very dangerous as the voltage increases. Thus, the video suggestion. Mirrors reflecting the view port image via a relay lens or telescope is another solution. One never looks at a high performing demo fusor or a real one with the naked eye. Glass bell jar like demo devices, operating under 6-7kv, are safe provide the glass is thick enough. FAQs talk about these issues.

Richard Hull
Jim Enright

Post by Jim Enright »

Thanks Richard! I will spend more time researching the FAQ's and dig deeper!

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”