"Tooting one's own horn"

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Richard Hull

"Tooting one's own horn"

Post by Richard Hull »

As Carl Greninger and I just recently shared our ANS talks and their successes, I though I would note that I was ultimately rewarded by my peers for my efforts.

As the word spread among my engineering peers, related to my fusion work and work with others in academia on getting youth interested in enginering and physics, I would, in 2010, receive the Richmond Joint Engineering Council's Lifetime Achievement award at their yearly awards banquet held at the prestigious old Jefferson Hotel. (note: this was the first time the award was given and starts a tradition now at RJEC) This made me very proud as it was a sort of capstone for my lifelong love of amateur science and bringing youth and others into the world of science and engineering. My speech before all gathered at the banquet summed all this up.

Carl Willis would write a nice letter of recommendation to the RJEC, as well, related to this award. Thanks Carl.

While notably proud, I realize that this plaque and $7.50 would get me a mocha latte supreme at Starbucks.

I attach a couple of photos

1. The ever dapper, me, with the award plaque
2. My wife, kit, and I, (seated), talk with the President of the RJEC.
Attachments
My wife and I are congratulated by the head of the joint engineering council
My wife and I are congratulated by the head of the joint engineering council
Here I am accepting the award (speech)  they got my first name wrong.  It shows how engineers can screw up even an awards dinner.
Here I am accepting the award (speech) they got my first name wrong. It shows how engineers can screw up even an awards dinner.
At work in my office, the next day.  Raise!  Oh no!  Two attaboys and a pat on the back!
At work in my office, the next day. Raise! Oh no! Two attaboys and a pat on the back!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Nick Peskosky

Re: "Tooting one's own horn"

Post by Nick Peskosky »

First off, congratulations Richard! It's always great to see those who have a dedicated interest/curiosity in science, engineering, and mathematics share and develop that same passion with the youth of the next generation. Although Fusion will remain inevitably "20 years away", teaching and inspiring the next generation of scientists, engineers, and thinkers is something we can achieve in the here and now. Forums like this serve as great opportunities for a wide range of amateur physicists/engineers/garage-tinkers to cultivate and help the youth we entrust to carry forward the torch of intellectual exploration. Keep up the good work!
Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com

"The whole of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks for the kudos, "Nick".

So far two people who know me personally have talked to me about this post and note that I look good in the pictures. Yeah, I clean up real good.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Richard
well earned
all of this is very good for the amateur science effort

and on a personal note it should of happened long ago

again well done
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Richard,

Congratulations, on the award, you deserve it.

Look pretty sharp in that hat too, you might have a future selling aluminium siding if retirement gets too boring.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks again to all. As for retirment, I really look forward to it, about this time next year. However, sometimes I think that I should be careful what I wish for.

I feel I have enough stuff at home and in my life left undone, on the back burner and promised myself to get back to, that I can remain busy once unchained from the prostitution of the daily grind....Even though like some prostitutes I tend to enjoy my work, but there comes a time when you are just not up for it anymore.

Richard Hull
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Richard,
Yours is the gift that keeps on giving. You and other perennial members of this forum have an impressive record of grooving a path for youths who have the raw material for scientific achievement. The yearly crop of ISEF participants and winners associated with the Neutron Club is certainly unprecedented in its success at that fair. This years neutron crop of graduating seniors heading for engineering, science, and math study at places like MIT, Cal Tech, and the University of Michigan joins many before them at fine institutions of learning all over.

As a parent and science enthusiast I send you my best regards for all your efforts.

Jim Kovalchick
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Jim. Those kudos mean a lot to me coming from a parent and especially one that helped his boy in a most positive manner such that he made it into the neutron club. You both can be proud of your efforts.

Richard Hull
Larry Upjohn

Post by Larry Upjohn »

Richard;
congratulations on recognition richly deserved. Larry Upjohn
Larry Upjohn
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

A late congrats, but congrats nonetheless! Also, love the hat. It's a good look for you.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Another resurrected post. It shows that even the guys who have been here a year or more, like Andrew, are still playing a game of catchup on the older postings. There is a lot of cool stuff buried deep here. Not that this thread is especially cool, but much better stuff and fun stuff lay deep within the bowels of this site. I often hit the way back button and climb in the time capsule to view the old songs posts........Ahh how simple and hopeful we all were back then. We are much hardier and stronger now for having made the long journey.

Thanks again for all the kudos directed at me for the award. What is it with the hat? I've worn them all my life, when having taken a shower and stumbled out among the living at special events. If there is a tie demanded, there is a hat.

By the way, president Kennedy killed men's formal headware with his "dry poof poof" darling hair creating the "look at my pretty hair" fad. Men's dress hats never came back. The money formerly spent on men's hats goes to unisex hair salons, manipedi's etc. The ball cap with the bill turned at 67.58 degrees to the normal is the current rage for those hippsters in th' know and wanting to fit in.

Here I am with a tie on and demanded hat by one of my 31 Lincoln Continentals I owned and restored between 1970 and 1995. The hat went well with the Lincolns and the tie

Richard Hull
Attachments
1969 MKIII  460 cu in.  This sucker would move...it could pass anything on the road except a gas station.  My last Continental before gas prices forced me into rice rockets.
1969 MKIII 460 cu in. This sucker would move...it could pass anything on the road except a gas station. My last Continental before gas prices forced me into rice rockets.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

More image repairs 2020

Richard Hull

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”