Taylor Wilson makes slashdot

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Mike Beauford

Taylor Wilson makes slashdot

Post by Mike Beauford »

Looks like Taylor will be getting some press now that some in the press have noticed his work, see link below.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/06 ... b-Detector
Mike Beauford
jcs78227

Re: Taylor Wilson makes slashdot

Post by jcs78227 »

Congraulations to Taylor.

I don't envy the position of have the typical "haters" or the "hit-and-run" commentators make the work seem less than it is. Some feel he's a danger, others don't think it's that special (graduates of Wikipedia University), and some are even correcting his work (Ph.D.'s in Wikipedia Science).

I say well done and keep up the good work Taylor!

J-
David Geer

Post by David Geer »

I thought it comical that one individual said that a fusion reactor is a commercially produced device. Silly wiki-haters, flaming's are for kids. Good work to you Taylor and keep it up!
- David Geer
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice piece and more accolades for Taylor. Also, more info out there on our efforts here. I agree that the comments range from the mundane to the rediculous, but that is the society we are immersed in.

We will see if we have a new "wave" of newbs off this web based publication.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

Kudos Taylor!

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

We do a lot of good science for relatively cheap. And we learn a hell of a lot in the process. We should work out the price per neutron. I suspect IEC would be orders of magnitude cheaper than ICF, MCF, MTF, etc.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Had to go read through some of the comments....to respond....

I think that what the comment said was that a neutron source operating like the fusor is a commercially available device... and I think that is correct. A few years back you could go to the Daimler-Chrysler website and find it listed for down-hole analysis in the oil/gas exloration field. since the Daimler-Chrysler split, I haven't checked.

A Neutron Backscatter device for measuring soil moisture and density has been around since the 1960's - mfr then was Nuclear Chicago Inc. It did not use the fusor principle to make neutrons, however.

So, if that's what the comment meant, it IS correct.

What Taylor has done, that properly impresses most everyone, is demonstrate a useful application to a scientific device, which doesn't really have much beyond didactive capabilities, thus far.

Look - if Robert Hirsch HAD found something that could actually do fusion the way the AEC/DOE folks wanted, they would have put up the bucks real fast And, .... had that happened, almost all of what we know today, about its background would have gone classified, leaving amateurs out in the dark. And quite likely, some of Richard's fine and enlightening anecdotes, reminiscences, even pictures from Farnsworth's and Hirsch's colleagues might have been unavailable to us.

If this method can actually lead to a practical fusion device with an Over-Unity net power output, (at whatever actual power level that is)..... then the story ends quite differently.

Writing that last chapter requires an experimenter finding the key that fits the lock, or.... showing conclusively that the door is not actually there.

That chapter is actually much more likely to be written by a "youngster" than one of us "greyheads". So go to it, Taylor and your contemporaries!!

Dave Cooper

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”