IEEE Spectrum item: "Physics Projects Deflate for Lack of Helium-3"

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Chris Bradley

IEEE Spectrum item: "Physics Projects Deflate for Lack of Helium-3"

Post by Chris Bradley »

http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/dia ... of-helium3

"Earlier this year, a panicked U.S. congressional panel traded barbs about who was at fault for a sudden and surprising shortage of helium-3."

(Not sure who this surprised?.. I've commented on this in various circles that should have had the due influence since 2003, and I am surely not the only?)
Steven Sesselmann

Re: IEEE Spectrum item: "Physics Projects Deflate for Lack of Helium-3"

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Chris,

Nothing to panic about....

Let me see, if all the guys in the forum (let's say 100) run their fusors 24 hours a day 365 days a year at 10e6 n/s then it would take how many years to make a litre of 3He?

(1 x 10^23) / [ (1 x 10^2) * (1 x 10^6 neutrons) * (3.2 x 10^7 seconds)] = ~ 31,250,000 years

Could come in handy if national security is still aproblem.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I'll give them the decay product if they let me look after some Tritium.

Steve
billwcf

Post by billwcf »

You would think that if they could find all those ten thousand plus tritium exit signs that Walmart "lost", they would have plenty. -bill
billwcf

Post by billwcf »

Before I get in any trouble with the big "W" company, here is a link about the signs. An accounting error. http://www.rawstory.com/news/2008/Could ... _0215.html -bill
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'm glad I loaded up on spare 3He toobz early in this biz.

What is this sillycon-boron sensor? Is it as good as 3He in detection of smuggled nuke product? I would be stunned if it was. I thought BF3 was number two in neutron detection. It is certainly one of the oldest rather sensitive detectors.

Oh well, caught short again. No one saw this coming in the guv'ment?!

I'll bet there is no more D-3He burnin' in the U of W fusor! I seem to remember posting a quoted price from spectra gases some years ago when some here were eager to give it a whirl. I'll have to look for that post. It was high, naturally, but it seems 20 liters might have been under $3,000.00. In this new light I have ammended my old 2003 FAQ posting on fusion reactions.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6427#p42110

Also, Someone here told me at one of my HEAS conferences that he had stumbled onto a large cylinder of He3 and had it in his possesion!!!! My old ossified brain strains to remember.

Similarly, I hold about 1.5 kilos of elemental thallium in my lab. The stuff was last heard by me in 2008 going for $5100.00/ kilo!!! It seems no one wants to make much of the stuff anymore.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I luuv the comment at the end of that piece Bill references;

"Ontario Hydro also stated that it would cost $1 billion to lower tritium emissions to the level recommended by Ontario’s Advisory Committee on Environmental Standards, and in the end, no official action was taken."

..surely a take on Homer Simpson "If something's hard to do then it's not worth doing"?
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

It's not worth it unless you're the DHS spending our money for "security theatre", which is the proximate cause of the shortage, along with the lowered production of nuclear weapons material. And then CERN needing lots for their helium dilution super cold cryo stuff.

For what it's worth, we here have tried all of
3He,
BF3
B10 lined tubes
Plastic scintillator and photo tube

And every single one is plenty sensitive for fusor work. Some not so good at detecting low rates of spontaneous fission as 3 He, but I'm not doing that, I'm doing fusors, and all of the above work just dandy. 3He to the point of near saturation (or real hard saturation in pulses) of the tubes, I have to "numb" mine down to make it useful!

So unless you're running He dilution cryo, have no tears -- you're going to be just fine.

Even those old B10 tubes counted really fast in a good moderator near my fusor -- too fast for good audio use.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

I just kludged up the simplest imaginable circuit for a B10 tube and got it working tonight, using my fusor as the source of neutrons. It worked fine with both of the tubes I have (anyone want to sell me more of these?).

Simple -- CCFL inverter a 12v in, 1kv out one, volt doubler using some fast diodes and the input cap it had on it, with a .01 output cap, 100k and another cap for final filtering. 100k resistor to the tube, and a .01 u cap to couple to the negative input of a tlo84 opamp (which shouldn't be fast enough, but is).
Used a 10 meg feedback resistor and another in the + input to ground, bypassed. It gives .5 to 5v output pulses, enough to drive a transistor base for counting the pulses, no fancy threshold etc needed. The circuit makes maybe 200-300mv noise pulses with a hot piece of ore sitting on the tube, and a foot from the fusor counts maybe a couple hundred counts/second.

The only big issue here is good noise shielding -- that power supply radiates quite a lot of 43 khz right next to a high impedance input. A little copper box works well for it.

So there's your answer to the lack of 3He.....and a cheap one.
Attachments
B10circuit.gif
B10.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The B-10 tubes will count anything if the voltage is too high. Most of the old GE tubes, ( a drug on the market), work best at 500-700 volts. Too high a voltage and they become GM toobz with large output pulses. These are still handled as proportional tubes, (millivolt outputs), and require a good preamp just as the He3 and BF3 but at vastly reduced voltages. All this was hashed out in older posts posted in the proper forum on neutron and radiation detection.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

My tube is running between 650 and 700v with the listed 3.5v into that CCFL, yes.
700v seems a hard limit -- as you say.
I didn't see a cheap usable circuit that works posted, so I show one.
Doesn't do me any good to spec settings on some piece of surplus gear I don't have and can't find working.

Since we only use 3He as a detector, should not this entire thread be in detectors?

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”