North Korea Claims to Achieve Elusive Nuclear Fusion

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Mark Rowley

North Korea Claims to Achieve Elusive Nuclear Fusion

Post by Mark Rowley » Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 pm

How much you want to bet they built a Fusor !

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9FL3VKO0

Doug Coulter

Re: North Korea Claims to Achieve Elusive Nuclear Fusion

Post by Doug Coulter » Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 am

I wouldn't make that bet because that is probably what they did, despite making claims they "invented it all on their own". The South Korean guy is a typical example of the nay sayers who think tokomaks are the only way, interestingly -- saying they can't have done that (which is probably right, they probably didn't make a tokomak). Many here can claim to have made fusion at all, and I note that even the N Koreans aren't claiming things like gain or even high Q. Heck, if you go with DPF (Lerner's thing though he didn't invent that) it sure doesn't take very much -- even less than a fusor does.

I bet many people here have done more "inventing on their own" than all of N Korea has. It just doesn't tend to happen on our revered leaders Bday (do we have a revered leader?).
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu May 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Bottom line.........No one has lit a single, simple .01 watt LED with fusion energy derived from the expenditure of less than .01 watts input yet and are not likely to in the near future (many years).

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Thu May 13, 2010 5:09 pm

The future always holds what you least expect.

Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis.

lutzhoffman

Post by lutzhoffman » Thu May 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Who knows what the NK government is spinning now on fusion, this said they do have many bright and intelligent individuals, so the possibility of something significant is always there.

So if you are looking for an interesting trip to a very unique place: Maybe offer to do some consulting for them, in exchange for air fare, room and board. Who knows maybe they will let you take something interesting home, like a nice portrait of the great leader.

This whole thing reminds me of China spending close to a billion dollars to put a man in space a few years back. Durring that same week a private group of people tested Space Ship One, and did the same thing for only 2 million in the California desert, plus they could re-use their spacecraft : ) The propaganda however worked with 24/7 domestic coverage of the Chinese rocket on their TV, with no mention of Space Ship One.

What this shows is that governments in general are often motivated more by propaganda, than they are by pursuit of real science.

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Schedule an above ground hydrogen bomb test, and I'll show up with an LED and solar cell, and accomplish just that.

Fusion break even was an accomplished fact decades ago. It's just that the fuel pellets are inconveniently large. Nothing we couldn't build a plant to handle *if we had to*. The subsequent history of fusion has been a battle to accomplish on a small, steady state scale something that really wants to be big and sudden.

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts » Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 am

"Fusion break even was an accomplished fact decades ago. It's just that the fuel pellets are inconveniently large."

Hah, well said indeed! I will have to write that one down.

I remember reading a story in a book called "The curve of binding energy" where Ted Taylor, one of the nuclear scientists of the era, set up a parabolic mirror during one of the nuclear tests. When the bomb went off, lots of light was focused by the mirror, and the guy lit a cigarette with a nuclear bomb... Call that a "proof of concept" if you wish. (Granted, the device being tested was purely fission, but a thermonuclear would do the job just as well)

-Chris

tligon

Post by tligon » Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 am

I expect that's exactly what they did, built a fusor. This means they've almost caught up with high school kids and hobbyists in the free world!

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 am

My point exactly Tom. They have been reinventing the wheel for almost 60 years.

tligon

Post by tligon » Fri May 14, 2010 3:32 am

I just bought a set of ConFlat rings for my fusor, and had to state on the order that I am not sending them overseas.

Well, I'm not. And I'm Com-Sec briefed so I can't say I'm ignorant if I do. But I sincerely hope the North Koreans, the Iranians, and all the other troublemakers out there don't make life difficult for fusioneers. As Richard likes to point out, we're pretty harmless, can't even power an LED.