"Power to the people" - James May's big ideas.

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Chris Bradley

"Power to the people" - James May's big ideas.

Post by Chris Bradley »

For those able to see UK BBC 2 television (and if you are on the continent you're not allowed to watch it on Astra 2: 10773 H 22000 5/6, nor are you allowed to watch it on BBC i player unless you're based in the UK ) then at 21:00 [GMT+1] today is the last of James May's 3-part 'big ideas' series, and from the photo he has clearly been along to JET.

http://www.open2.net/jamesmay/power_to_people.html

Amongst his travels, the blurb says he visits New Mexico as well, but probably missed out on visiting Carl W. I suspect!!

Should make for an interesting bit of TV.

best regards,

Chris MB.

EDIT: if you get to watch it on iplayer when it goes on, there's not much on fusion. Just 10 minutes-worth of the usual mis-conceptions - 'as hot as the centre of the sun', 'completely clean energy', 'produces only helium' and 'the magnetic field keeps the plasma from touching anything', or to that effect. All the usual propagated nonsense. He didn't even get the time to point out that he was walking around the mock-up of JET (not JET itself of course) which is used for practicing with the robotic arms that actually do work in the chamber. At least it raises fusion's profile by a um in the public eye.
ajmoir

Re: "Power to the people" - James May's big ideas.

Post by ajmoir »

This is available on youTube, torrent etc.

I sat down and watched three episodes of the series of 'James May's big ideas' last night. I'm somewhat of a fan of James May not just his presenting on TopGear but also his other fact based shows.

The show in general is a bit out there. It shows various technical subjects and what is being done in them. It suffers from having to be entertainment rather than just the facts. James comes across as being very interested but rather clueless, nice but dim as the joke goes.

The personal helicopter was cool, the Spanish solar tower was an eye opener. So on the whole if you can stand the patter the items portrayed are pretty interesting in and of themselves.

FWIW, I have a personal bias against JET/ITER that is based on nothing more than my perception that it's one great boon doggle and the tax payer is getting right royally stiffed.

The portion on Fusion focused entirely on the party line and never really got going. There was the usual video of the plasma heating and the one or two neutrons being emitted. No mention of break even or a production system

Given the usual style of the show the picture of the plucky amateur working in his shed would have gone down rather well. If there are any fusioneers in the U.K. perhaps they could contact the BBC? 15 minutes of fame and all that.

So to sum up easy to watch try not to take it too serious.

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”