Are Supercaps Dead?

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
3l

Are Supercaps Dead?

Post by 3l »

Hi Folks:

In Russia they have developed super capacitors that work like lead acid cells. They are 1/100 the weight of an equivalent battery. Last I heard they were trying to develop a supercap that
would run an electric car.
Combine solar panels and super caps into a complete package ,you might have something.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
DaveC

Re: Are Supercaps Dead?

Post by DaveC »

Larry -

To my kowledge, "supercaps" are alive and well and living in San Diego CA, at least... Maxwell Labs, markets them. I think there are also products from Japan of similar capabilities... if this is what you meant by super caps.

One pedestrian application is compact power factor correction, for utility T&D applications. Less stuff on the pole...etc. These are lower capacitance than the DC application caps.

There are commercially available, (270 Farad power supplies (I think 16V or something) not a misprint...there 270 Farads. These are all double layer type caps, and probably are pushing the limits of distinction between a galvanic cell (battery) and a capacitor. Technologly is moving ... eh?

Dave Cooper

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”