Isreali Plutonium Production

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
3l

Isreali Plutonium Production

Post by 3l » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:42 pm

Hi Folks:

I just ran across some interesting facts about Isreal's Nuclear
Weapons Program
Enjoy!

Israel makes plutonium for atomic bombs at Dimona, a secret nuclear complex in the Negev Desert. The French-supplied reactor there has produced plutonium free from international controls since 1963. The quality of the plutonium created by the Dimona reactor is ideal for making atomic bombs.

The size of the reactor at Dimona is listed by the International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] as 26 megawatts (thermal). However, experts believe it is much more powerful than that. Mordechai Vanunu, an Israeli technician who worked at Dimona for eight years, reported that the reactor had been scaled up twice before he arrived at the site in 1977. The first scale-up was from 26MWt to 70MWt; the second was to some higher level.

The first scale-up was planned when Dimona was built. Israel convinced France to make the reactor's critical components--including its cooling circuit--three times larger than needed for a facility of its nominal size, and three times larger than originally agreed upon. This modification permitted a scale-up to 70MWt without the addition of extra cooling circuits, which would have attracted outside attention.>>>>>>> Further evidence of a scale-up came in late 1968, when Israel diverted 200 metric tons of Belgian uranium on the high seas--a quantity considerably greater than a 26-megawatt reactor would have required.<<<<<<< Israel probably needed the additional uranium for the first scale-up, which appears to have occurred in 1970. (Nope it was on the Belgian ship)

Vanunu also said that Dimona had been producing 40 kilograms of plutonium per year for some time before he arrived in 1977. If the reactor at Dimona was unusually efficient (i.e., producing more than 1 gram of plutonium per megawatt day) and ran for as many as 300 days per year, the 40 kilograms could have been produced with a peak power of sightly more than 100MWt. If the reactor were less efficient, and operated for fewer days per year, the peak power would have to approach 150MWt.

PLUTONIUM EXTRACTION

To be used in weapons, plutonium must be extracted chemically from irradiated nuclear reactor fuel. A French firm, St. Gobain Techniques, supplied Israel with a chemical extraction plant at Dimona. The plant's first trial runs were in late 1965. By 1968, Israel had extracted enough plutonium for an atomic bomb.

The Dimona reactor, if operated continuously, could have created as much as 870 kilograms of plutonium through 1994. This figure assumes that the reactor started operating at 26MWt in 1963, was scaled up to 70MWt in 1970, and was scaled up again in 1977 to a level at which it could produce about 40kg of plutonium per year. Vanunu reported that the extraction plant where he worked produced 1.17 kilograms of plutonium per week for 34 weeks per year, a total of 40 kilograms annually. At this rate, 320 kilograms of plutonium would have been produced during the eight years Vanunu worked at Dimona. If the reactor experienced shutdowns, or was operated at a lower power, this figure could be significantly smaller.

Future plutonium production at Dimona is uncertain, primarily because of the reactor's age. The United States has urged Israel to cap its nuclear program and cease plutonium production at Dimona, but Israel has not agreed to do so.

SIZE OF ISRAEL'S ARSENAL

The above figures for plutonium production indicate that Israel could have up to 175 bombs' worth of plutonium in its nuclear arsenal today. This figure assumes roughly 5 kilograms of plutonium are needed per bomb, including processing losses. (Vanunu reported in 1986 that Israel was using about 4.4kg of plutonium per bomb, an amount slightly greater than the reflected fast critical mass of plutonium-239.)

It is impossible to estimate the exact size of Israel's arsenal without knowing Dimona's true operating history and the characteristics of Israeli nuclear weapon designs. For example, Israel has produced enriched uranium, which could be used to make additional weapons. Israel has also made a number of "boosted" weapons using tritium, also produced at Dimona. Tritium can be produced by irradiating lithium-6 targets in the Dimona reactor.

DIMONA REACTOR:

Reactor: IRR-II
Type: Heavy water
Power: 26-megawatt (thermal) scaled up to 70MWt or more
Start-up: 1963
Safeguards: None
Plutonium created through 1994: Up to 870 kilograms

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Adam Szendrey

Re: Isreali Plutonium Production

Post by Adam Szendrey » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:55 pm

Well assuming this is true, it is scary.
I just don't know what the hell this Sharon guy wants, stirring up conflicts, and turning Israel into a militaristic power.
First expanding their territory enraging the palestinians, and generally the arabic world, now this wall (a several meters high concrete wall, called a fence...) they are building...
My problem is that the U.S. (along with other countries) backed Sharon up all along, for a reason i just don't know...
This whole conflict was started by Sharon, a conflict that led to 9/11, the train bombs in Madrid, the death of more than 323 people including 154 children in Russia during the attack on a school, and the countless victims in the middle east (including soldiers from all over the world), due to terror attacks and the war that officially has ended there...
I have to ask...why did we (and still do) let Sharon and his gang do what they ever want??

Adam

3l

Post by 3l » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:57 am

Hi Adam:

The Isreali's had great teachers..the Nazis.
Those that lived now ironically use the same techniques as a certain brownshirt dude.
Their racial memory is short and they believe that any means to an end is justified against non Jews like the Palistineans,Lebonese,Egytians, ect.
A normal persom does not know the curbed lightenings all around them. Why do you think that the Isrealites can slaughter folks that bug them at will and take their land? People in this country are responsible for this mess, but we have a loony coillition of the religious right in this country who really want apcolcalypse ( it's in one of them there Bible Chapters ya know ) , one good way to do is to give the Isreali's nuclear weapons capability.
Turn a blind eye to blatent violations of UNSCOM and allow 100's of nukes to be gathered.
Then let the other of God's kids (just remember that good Christian Abraham just couldn't keep his wick in his pants!) fight back. Stirr well. End of the world.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Q

Post by Q » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:16 am

all to true, even though it sounds like a dr. evil plan.

and hey, look at it this way, even if the whole world isnt directly involved, once everyone in the middle east kills each other off, thar's oil for the takin'... (please note the sarcasm)

Q

davidtrimmell

Post by davidtrimmell » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:32 am

Don't forget about the help they got from Apartheid South Africa in their nuclear endeavors. The Lukud and the neocons here in the States are certainly working for very similar goals.

It is sad what happens to the human animal when they are beaten down and only have the bestial survival instincts of the reptilian complex coupled with illogical hatred of foggy memories... The so-called Terrorists are our own creation.

Reap what you sow.

David Trimmell

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 pm

Man's ultimate bestial nature coupled with his inventiveness in destructive systems is the very mechanism nature holds in reserve to thin the herd.

What could be more natural or more effective.

A big thinning is long overdue so big issues swim about us, making everyone universally at odds and most of the players have big and nasty sticks to use. If only one of the attacked feels backed into a corner, The trigger is tripped.

How many will join in the fray, and with what toys, will determine the path of the event and the degree of the thinning. We, as individuals, are utterly powerless in all of this.

Of course, we think we will vote in "Our Man" and all will get better. We have no, "Our Man", they are all, "Their Men".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Codecat

Post by Codecat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:48 pm

Does anybody know if the 51st state of the union, er, I mean isreal has thermonuclear weapons in the multi-megaton class?

Codecat

davidtrimmell

Post by davidtrimmell » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:14 pm

Now you are insulting the Porto Rican's

I have never seen anything that speculates on the size of their weapons, but I suspect they are sub megaton as they really wouldn't want to drop a megaton sized weapon on one of their close neighbors like Egypt. To dammed much fallout for the Israeli Homeland.

David Trimmell

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:28 pm

I would tend to agree with Dave on this. I'll bet they have a slew of tactical nukes in the 10kt to 100kt range and maybe their biggest is a deuterium core boosted 300kt job or something like that. Why go thermo when good ole atom bombs and hybrids are so easy to do.

Rest assured that they would not hesitate to use them if back against the wall. To them, the state of Israel will never cease to exist...period. The hand of god is no longer needed nor relied upon to smite their enemies should the future of the homeland be at stake or should someone nuke them first.

Why do you think the arab nations haven't just rolled over that strip of land?

They know the retribution would throw them back into the stone age.....and for what? Land? They have their own mini version of MAD going on in that sphere of influence.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

3l

Post by 3l » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:42 pm

Hi Guys:

I hate to burst your bubble but Isreal has at least 10 experimental
layer cake bombs ready. They haven't tested one yet. The David Reuben spy case 20 years ago gave them the needed
data to build them and the more efficient Ullam Teller design.
They have benifited from our years of experience in H-bomb design,so they can leap frog testing and build the real deal.
They tell us that they are not deployed. If you believe that one
I have land in Antartica for you...cheap!
All we need now is the anouncement of an Isrealli space agency on CNN. They intend to stay ahead of the Arabs by having bigger guns.Reason will not prevail in the arms race madness between deadly enemies.We at least had a dialog between the two nuclear superpowers, the danger now is that there is no common ground here.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech